Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA DRIVE INSTALLATION

• Please log in to reply

JMIG

JMIG

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz:

I recently added a "COMBO" PCI card to my existing Intel 845BG board system.
Windows XP was already installed.
Card provides SATA, USB 2.0, & FIREWIRE ports.
All drivers that came with card were loaded.
I then added 120GB SAMSUNG SATA drive.

Two issues:
1. Drive not recognized in BIOS set-up, but shows up in the computer hardware administrative menu . Drive was formatted and partioned. Now shows up in My Computer, but still absent from BIOS set-up.
SATA Drive also appears in Device Manager and SATA Silicon Image 3112 SCASI/RAID controller also appears in Device Manager. No yellow flags!

2. Drive is usable but is functioning at less than standard IDE performances and does not show up in BIOS set-up.. Existing IDE drive perfoemance has degraded by 50%. It appears drive may not be on SATA channel?
Any suggestions, inputs? Thanks!

Edited by JMIG, 29 May 2005 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The sata drive won't show up in the bios because it's connected to a pci controller card not the motherboard. The bios itself doesn't support sata anymore than it will support scsi for example.

Sata controllers are often recognised as scsi/raid controllers, so device manager is reporting the controller correctly.

When you say drive performance is poor, how are you measuring that?