Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore without disc

• Please log in to reply

Echs117

Echs117

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, i am using an alienware m11x with windows 7 home premium and i need to factory restore it but the m11x doesn't feature a disc drive. i remember restoring once without the disc and i thought i held ctrl f11 at startup but on this it just beeps alot at me... not really sure what to do, and i need to restore it to get rid of all the garbage and infected game installers that my stupid cousin put on here.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

From Dell's Alienware M11x User Manual:

Note: This recovery process will only be possible if the recovery partition on the hard drive is still intact.

SYSTEM RECOVERY:

To restore data:
Turn off your computer.

Disconnect all the devices connected to the computer (such as USB drive, printer, etc.) and remove any recently added internal hardware.
NOTE: Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the power cable.

Turn on your computer.
When the Alienware logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Advanced Boot Options window.
NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.

Select 5. Repair Your Computer.
Select 6. Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe Options and follow the instructions on the screen.
NOTE: The restoration process might take an hour or more depending on the size of the data to be restored.

NOTE: For more information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup, see knowledge base article 353560 at support.dell.com.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 20 May 2011 - 04:13 AM.

Echs117

Echs117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks so much that seemed to work the only problem is it asked me for my admin password and for some reason it won't accept my password. this is proving to be a pain and i can't do much with my 1500$ computer if i can't login. i thought maybe spyware or something changed my password or just locked me out. that might be a really stupid idea, but i don't know much about software or anything like that so if there is a way to restore without an admin password that would help alot... i do appreciate the help and seeing that article from the alienware site made me feel dumb because that should have been the first place i looked.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Since you're willing to do a restore, I take it that you don't have any data to save on there? If not, contact dell to get a restore disc. It'll run you around $40.00 I think.

I see you say it doesn't have a disc drive you can take that windows 7 disc and load it onto a usb thumb drive and reinstall your operating system that way.

http://technet.micro...e/dd535816.aspx

Edited by gorham, 26 May 2011 - 07:57 AM.

Echs117

Echs117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
that seemed to do it thanks so much and it was mainly for gaming on road trips, my family travels alot. i ended up actually getting a cheap external disk drive and reinstalling windows from that

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
glad it worked out for you.:)

Yogi_DALWM11X

Yogi_DALWM11X

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I have a question. I am using Dell Alienware M11X. I created a WIN7 image on a USB drive. What about the other drivers? Can I download them directly from the dell site and install them? please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Yogi

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, download and install any that are needed from the Dell site, but do a few Windows Updates first as almost all needed drivers will be installed that way.

Yogi_DALWM11X

Yogi_DALWM11X

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,,,,.... Thanks.. AlienRespawn saved time n efforts :popcorn: