Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W98SE balks at SATA on motherboard

• Please log in to reply

GypsyR

GypsyR

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually did a PROD. Once upon a time I had IDE drives and could dual boot 98 and XP. MB had SATA which I had disabled. Later I got a SATA drive and put XP on it.
Ran 98 and when it saw the SATA it didn't recognize it and paniced. It would still run but wouldn't recognize the IDE CD/DVD drives anymore. The reason I kept it was that I have some old games on CD I like to play once in a blue moon and they won't run under XP nor acceptably in a virtual machine. Even after I diabled SATA in the BIOS 98 still wouldn't cooperate so I abandoned it.
So two or three upgrades later I STILL have that dusty stack of unplayable CD's and that old IDE drive with 98 on it. Somewhere. I've been thinking of putting some of my leftovers together and making another 98 box. BUT, I'm spoiled by the quad core I'm running and running on something like a a P90 makes me want to pull my teeth out. I still have the SATA board with a Celeron that isn't too bad but it's the one that made 98 choke. The other boards laying about I probably ought to just toss out, they're pretty old.
So, any suggestions for a cheap new/newish board that 98 will run on? I plan to have the PC out in my garage and it will have other purposes. Streaming WiFi Hulu TV, radio, holding car manuals on CD and being able to print pages off them to an old laser printer.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically nothing these days has support for Windows 98.
Windows 98 predates SATA by about six years so it realistically was never going to work properly anyway.

GypsyR

GypsyR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I found a little time and stepped back to a PC/mobo about the same age as the SATA board but didn't have SATA. THe 98 install balked on a different bit of hardware, no dice. I haven't moved up to Win7 yet but I understand it can run a version of virtual PC to enable people to run legacy XP programs. I wonder how it handles 98 stuff? I also wonder if it works any better than the version I've used in XP to run 95/98 stuff. It's not too good. I guess I can't put off upgrading to 7 much longer.