Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC won't wake from sleep

• Please log in to reply

Hendrixxxxxxxx

Hendrixxxxxxxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am a Mac guy, and have been for 20 years.
I became an independent trader 2 years ago, and thus needed to buy a PC to run the software that I needed to use.
Because I know NOTHING about PC's, I have kept the system very clean - aside from the operating systen, the only software installed is my trading software (for which I needed to use PC rather than Mac), MSOffice (of which I only use Excel), a program called active desktop calendar, and a backup program which runs at each system startup. No email, no browsers, no games - nothing apart from what I have mentioned.
The system has been running happily for 2 years. It runs 24/7, and gets shut down each weekend.
In the last couple of days, it has twice failed to wake from sleep (screen sleeps after 15 mins, HD not at all). The green light on the front of the box is on, the lights on the keyboard (caps lock etc) are on, but I can't wake it up, and have to force shutdown and restart.
Nothing has changed on the system in the past couple of months, and I'm doing nothing different today than I was doing last week.
My suspicion is a hardware issue, but was wondering if, before I get the hardware checked out, one of the system files has somehow become corrupted, and if so, does anyone have any idea where I should begin to look for this file?.
Please assume that I know nothing about PC's....because I really don't.

Thanks
Hendrix

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

This can have several causes but I would first see if System Restore fixes it.
Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore
From the calendar, choose an available restore point which pre-dates the start of the problem.

Hendrixxxxxxxx

Hendrixxxxxxxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Phillip,

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.

I believe I may have fixed the problem. After a couple more instances after I posted, I did some deducing and decided it was likely a video problem, so I opened the box and reseated the video card (I knew what this was because I put it in there a couple of years ago when I bought the Matrox card because I needed to run 3 screens). So far, the issue has not recurred, although its only been a few hours.

I will keep your suggestion in mind if I have further issues.

Thanks for your help.

Hendrix.