Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

image shell32.dll error

• Please log in to reply

crlrcksn

crlrcksn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had the power socket re-soldered and when I went to start up pc, I got the famous blue screen with stop:c0000221 {bad image checksum} the image shell32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum. I have no idea what this means or how to fix it and would love some guidance!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you have the XP CD, boot from that and enter the recovery console and then run "chkdsk /r" on the drive carrying windows, that is normally C drive.
If you do not have the XP CD then follow the instructions below.

go here http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Download that ISO file and buirn the CD using this program
http://www.snapfiles...dlburncdcc.html

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a black dos box... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

Here is a link explaining the use of the recovery console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 May 2011 - 09:39 AM.

crlrcksn

crlrcksn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info, will give it a go and see what happens!!