Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser Redirect Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Chieftiff

Chieftiff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have run the "How to Fix Google Redirects" process on the GTG site without success. (pse refer attached files.) I had a desktop machine which started exhibiting the problem some months ago, and at the time I didn't consider a virus to be the problem. The PC was fairly old and the Windows software was not kept up to date unfortunately. This is how I suspect the virus entered.
The virus also presented itself in my laptop when connected via to the net via the same router wirelessly. (The desktop was connected via an ethernet cable.) Interestingly, when I take the laptop to work and connect it to the company network, the issue is not evident until I next connect it via the home wireless router. I have since installed a new desktop and replaced the old one and still have the new problem on the new PC.

I would really appreciate your help.

Kind regards, Chieftiff
[email protected]
Attached File  OTL.Txt   96.93KB   97 downloadsAttached File  OTL Extras.Txt   50.3KB   102 downloads

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi Chieftiff,

Welcome to Geekstogo. My name is Salagubang and I'll be helping you with this problem.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you
  • English is not my first language, so please do not use slang or idioms, as this makes it difficult to understand for me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Step One

Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

Step Tw

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click on Standard Output at the top
  • Under the Extra Registry sectionm ensure that Safelist is selected
  • Select All Users
  • Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Click here to download it. You may need to right click on it and select "Save"
  • Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
  • A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
  • Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
  • Select scan.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
  • Click the
    Quick Scan
    button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.