Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't adjust date and time!

• Please log in to reply

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Mac!

It took me two hours to reach this stage! Pages kept freezing Avira kept turning itself off! I had to keep re-booting which took an age as my PC always takes a few mins to start!

Anyway, changed the time as per your instructions. Everything OK for a day. Then clock fell one hour twenty mins behind the real time. Now it is over 4 hours behind. Changed back using cmd.

I will look in safe mode when I boot up again. Don't really want to switch off again yet as I have things to do.

Ran Malware bytes - no malicious threats found.
Ran Avira full scan - nothing found.

Maybe my PC is just old!!

Thnks for your help!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Is the clock losing the time while it is powered on?
Have you replaced the cmos battery as shown in post 5?

Generally the date and time will not change while the computer is turned on. I am suspecting corruption in the bios.
If the time and date change to much it will effect the computer especially with updates that are tied to the date/time.

I would try resetting the bios to defaults. Look close at the boot screen when you start. It will tell you what key.
It could be esc or del also.

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Mac - I was able log in on the built in admin account in Safe Mode. I was able to change time. Well I didn't need to because I had already altered the time in the BIOS. When I went back into normal mode I got the same message as above : ' You do not have the proper priv................@

123 - I altered the time this mornibg at about 7:00am turned off the PC, went to work and when I switched back on tonight at 6:30pm it was bang on!

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Mac - I was able log in on the built in admin account in Safe Mode. I was able to change time. Well I didn't need to because I had already altered the time in the BIOS. When I went back into normal mode I got the same message as above : ' You do not have the proper priv.......

Either your account profile has been corrupted in relation to your rights.
OR you are not actually signed in as Admin - I say that with some hesistancy, as iof course you insist you are

Go start, run and type
"control userpasswords2"

That will enable you to confirm that you do have admin rights

Then if you have, you may either wait and see if anything else develops, to provide us more possible evidence that, something is amiss.
It maybe that the registry key that allows these actions has been damaged.

See this
http://answers.micro...0a-bc18957cca9c
That article shopuld read Administrative tools.
It was what I was suggesting earlier and although it is the same result, it suggests that access may be possible on XP home via that route.
I cannot verify as I do not use XP Home.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating a new admin account...reboot to it...see if it will allow you to change the time...

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Mac - Go start, run and type
"control userpasswords2"

That will enable you to confirm that you do have admin rights

I did that and it confirms I have admin rights.

The clock by the wat is exactly right after 24 hours of PC being on and off!

Happy I tried to [bleep] another user and at the end of the wizard a message popped up about not naming the group.

Thanks both for your help.