Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very slow computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Yep, upgradng RAM is one of the easiest upgrades to do on a PC or Laptop. Just unscrew the screws on a panel underneath, remove the panel, then fit the new RAM module.

Gateway actually provide instructions on doing this for your laptop model. You can find it in this pdf, on Page 9 "Replacing the Memory Module"..

It looks as though your laptop will take 2GB in total, but it seems as though it may be limited to 1GB per slot on the motherboard. So basically, you would need to buy a 1GB as a 2GB stick may not work. This one looks a decent buy. You don't have to order it online, your local PC store should stock this type of memory. You are basically looking for a 1GB DDR2 533Mhz RAM Module. You can get them slightly cheaper, but Corsair are a decent brand of memory.

If you need any other info, just let me know.

Advertisements

lmd46

lmd46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
according to what you see,there is nothing in that slot now-I would just have to put this in-i wouldnt lose any info or have to reformat anything- correct--I have very limited comp knowledge but I have been learning very quickly

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
I can't tell from the OTL log, whether anything is in the other slot, there shouldn't be anything though. There is a slim chance there could be 2x 256MB's, but I would doubt this due to it being a fairly modern laptop (Vista), unless Gateway were using up some old stock of 256MB. If you want, just unscrew the screws on the plastic flap and pop it off. You should see two slots, with one being currently occupied.

Installing some more RAM wont remove any files and you wont have to reinstall Windows or any software at all. You also don't have to 'install' RAM, there's no software to run etc. Once it's been fitted, the laptop should automatically recognize the increase in RAM, and there shouldn't be anything else needed :)

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.