Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 6930 Wont turn on or boot up

• Please log in to reply

dock

dock

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Acer Aspire 6930. When I push the power button it supposed to light up blue around it but now its like a pinkish color. All that happens when you turn it on is the caps lock and the number lock lights up for a second and the HDD light lights up for a second. There are some blue lights across the top that lights up and stays on. They are the volume and the play pause button. Nothing ever comes on the screen and it never kicks itself off but it wont ever boot up either. You can hear the fan kick on for about 7 or 8 seconds.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Assistance has also been requested on the Malware forum.
Hi dock :)
Possible causes include bad video chip or video ribbon, heat, power issue or bad Ram, I cannot comment on Malware but without any display it is hard to rule in or out.
What if anything have you tried to do yourself to resolve this issue?
1: Have you tried pressing the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 (possibly F5) keys at the same time in case the screen has accidentally been toggled to the external screen setting.
2: Tried connecting to an external screen by using the VGA port.
3: Shone a torch into the screen and looked closely for icons in the background.
4: Tried removing the battery, the AC adapter and the Ram then hold down the power on button for 30 seconds to dispel any static charge that may have built up in the system.
5: Tried removing the battery and running directly from the AC adapter.

You can hear the fan kick on for about 7 or 8 seconds.

This is normal, when in use the CPU fan is controlled by a sensor on the MB and it is normally only really heard when it kicks in to get the CPU and internal component temps down, that is not to say that the fan is not faulty or needs cleaning along with the HS and exhaust vents, has this ever been done.

For future reference see below;
If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken.
Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.

dock

dock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I have already tried 1-5 and it still dont work. I dont think it is booting up. The acer logo lights up and stays lit also. Any ideas why the blue light is a pinkish color now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I dont think it is booting up. The acer logo lights up and stays lit also.

Can you get into the BIOS by tapping F2 on boot up + is there a recovery partition on your HDD?
This is to establish if your HDD is detected, if it is not it may suggest HDD or MB failure.
If the HDD is detected and you have a recovery partition on the HDD manually restart the laptop
but this time when the Acer logo comes up press Alt and F10 to access the recovery partition,
follow the on screen instructions from there.
If there is no recovery partition on the HDD do you have boot/restore disk/s?
The OS may have become damaged or corrupt which amongst other things will prevent basic drivers
from loading.

Any ideas why the blue light is a pinkish color now.

Absolutely none I`m afraid, when you press the Fn and F4 keys to put the system into sleep mode
what colour does the light normally glow then?

dock

dock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no i cant get into nothing by tapping f2

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It may be F1, F8 or the Del key dependent on the system BIOS, watch your screen whilst waiting for the
Acer logo and it should say which key you need to press, you will need to try again if you miss it.
Just a FYI, a failed or even a disconnected HDD will not prevent you from getting into the BIOS, this
information is stored in the BIOS chip on the MB.

dock

dock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I posted that the acer logo would light up I meant the acer logo on the back of the laptop. Nothing comes up on the screen. I dont have a chance to push any keys. Sorry for the confusion

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
what you gotta do is buy new power supply it might have died out. or just try cleaning up your pc fans

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I posted that the acer logo would light up I meant the acer logo on the back of the laptop. Nothing comes up on the screen. I dont have a chance to push any keys. Sorry for the confusion

It is possible that the VGA module has failed and may need replacing, there are a couple of other things you can check out first though, remove the Ram and power up, let us know if there is any change, if there is no change then remove the HDD and then power up again let us know if there is any change and we can take it from there.
A full guide on how to do the above is available @ http://www.intellcit...-6930-6930G.pdf it also shows how to swap out the VGA module if that turns out to be the issue.

dock

dock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I have been gone for the last week. I get home and turn on my laptop. I noticed the power light was blue again instead of pink. It came on and kicked off a couple of times. When I turned it on again it wanted to run system recovery so I did that. Now it comes on and stays on for a while and then will kick off. Everything works on it like the internet. When it kicks off its like it locks up. If I have the caps lock or the number lock on they stay lit up but you cant turn them off. There a few other keys that stay lit up also. I cant turn it back on without having to take the battery off and unplug it out of the wall.

Thanks for all the help so far.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
How many sticks of Ram do you have?
If you have 2 can you try each stick individually and see if there is any change, you may need to do this with both slots on the MB, dependent on the results of the above test you may need to get your battery tested or if possible try a replacement in your laptop.