Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get passed welcome screen on Vista

• Please log in to reply

clementine367

clementine367

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer because I thought I recently got rid of a virus when I apparently didn't. I figured it wouldn't boot because of important files that had been deleted or something.
I can get into my desktop through safe mode, but when I try it regular I type in my password and it either sits at the little Welcome screen forever or it fades out to a black screen. I read some things on the internet about how other people temporarily fixed it by opening Task Manager and typing in 'explorer.exe' in the processes but I tried and ctrl+alt+delete does nothing. I also tried deleting some things that were in Regedit which worked, kind of, but when I restarted it, it stopped working again.
I believe the files were in hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon\shell = explorer.exe
and I deleted all of the files passed where it said 'shell'.
I tried running in safe mode again to see if something happened and two of the things were back. The website I was on said they were worms or something and I'm concerned that I may not have completely gotten rid of that first virus.
I've probably restarted this thing like 4,000 times now and I really think I could use a better idea.
Thanks in advance,
Clementine

Advertisements