Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID 1 says one of my drives failed

• Please log in to reply

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I just noticed something about my RAID driver in my device manager.

It says SCSI disk device. I do not think it said that before. I think it used to say AHCI.

My motherboard is an Asus M4A89TD Pro USB3 board, and I've been trying to see if that's SCSI, and I don't think it is. I'm looking at all of the available driver downloads on Asus and NONE of them say SCSI. All of them say AHCI/RAID.

I don't understand this. Why did my computer decide to change my disks out of the blue, if that's what happened. Judging by the evidence, I don't even think my mobo supports SCSI and if it does, there are no drivers for it, unless SCSI doesn't NEED drivers.

A little help with this issue would probably solve a future problem with my RAID array.

One other note-- I built an identical machine with identical specs for my boyfriend and his RAID driver also says SCSI and he has RAID 0. I could have sworn that before, the drivers on both machines said AHCI. Would updating my RAID drivers stop this from happening?

Advertisements

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
So, I don't know if anyone reads this anymore, or can offer anymore help.
Right after I got my new hard drive, my motherboard apparently shorted or something one morning. The computer locked up and did sort of a half crash without turning itself off, and the power switch didn't do anything. The CPU LED stays stuck solid red when I switch off the power supply and try to turn the computer back on. Nothing else happens, the system won't power up.

So, I took my computer to my boyfriend's house and swapped our power supplies and RAM to test them on each other's machines. His did nothing in mine, but my PSU and RAM worked just fine in his machine. So I wrote it off as a motherboard issue, planned to go to their website to get a new one.

Then my boyfriend's computer suddenly started crashing to a BSOD every single solitary time he tried booting into Windows 7. His Windows will not even start, and each BSOD is completely different from each other. One of them said it was due to ataport.sys or something, and another said there was a problem with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

This isn't the first problem I've been having with these computers, and in fact, he's told me that every time he shuts down his computer, he gets a blue screen when he powers the machine back on, and after a few crashes, it goes back to normal. I think I experienced this in my own machine as well.

I know these problems have nothing to do with my RAID but maybe it does. Maybe I've assembled these computers incorrectly. I'm confident that I've been as careful as I could possibly be when building them, so I have no idea what could be causing such things.
Maybe I just have really bad luck, but I'm about to set fire to these [bleep]ing things, I'm so angry and upset.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Still reading, just don't have anything to offer. :)

I don't see where we ever learned what OS you are using. I note that XP was created before SATA. But SCSI (pronounced skuzzy) has been around for many years. And yes, SCSI drives (or rather, the SCSI controllers) need drivers too. XP often designates SATA drives as SCSI. I would not worry about that.

Is your ASUS still under warranty?

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I apologize. We both use Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

And I suppose my motherboard is still under warranty, the warranty is 3 years I saw, and my mobo is brand new.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, Windows 7 has SATA support natively. I just looked in Device Manager on my Win7 Pro 64-bit system and it reports my SATA drives are SCSI drives.

If me, I might start over with a BIOS reset and try to get the RAID going again. But if it looks like the motherboard is not cooperating, I would consider RMAing the board. Fortunately, ASUS is a good company and I've never had problems with them. Of course, there is considerable downtime.

Do you really need RAID? I ran with mirrored RAID for years and it never saved me. Now I just make sure I have a current backup and don't worry about RAID anymore.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I probably don't NEED it, but I was taking an extra precaution in terms of HDD failure, even though I do have a backup computer with my stuff on it as well. If one of my hard drives goes down, I'd like to have everything including programs and files remaining the same on the living drive. I know it's not exactly common for hard drives to fail, but it does happen. I have a lot of important documents, and no I don't rely soley on RAID to protect them, but it was just an additional measure.

But right now, I'm not even concerned about the RAID. I'll fix that when I fix my motherboard issue. I'm concerned about the board and my boyfriend's computer having problems right now.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I probably don't NEED it, but I was taking an extra precaution in terms of HDD failure, even though I do have a backup computer with my stuff on it as well. If one of my hard drives goes down, I'd like to have everything including programs and files remaining the same on the living drive. I know it's not exactly common for hard drives to fail, but it does happen. I have a lot of important documents, and no I don't rely soley on RAID to protect them, but it was just an additional measure.

I hear you. I was the same way. I should clarify what I said above about RAID "never saved me". That does not suggest it failed to save me, it just means I did not need it. It was a "warm fuzzy" knowing I had a ready backup.

As far your boyfriends computer, I recommend you start a new thread. Different computer - different thread.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yeah I'll have to do that tomorrow when I go to his house and have a look at his event viewer and such.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What? Is he a lazy bum or something? Let him shag his computer to you!!! :)

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Lol! No, it's not like that, he lives really far away from me, hauling the computers back and forth for the long distance is irritating.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay. Just checking. But if the bum, err boyfriend doesn't show, with enthusiasm, the appropriate level of appreciation for you working on his computer - well, as a gentleman...

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Haha, he appreciates it, believe me, he knows I work hard on them.

I'll let you know how things go, and I'll probably be making a new thread some time this weekend if I get enough information about the problem.