Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I would like to build a FREE WiFi Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dmmackay

dmmackay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I live a couple of miles from the Library which offers free internet, and I would like to tap into this from home.

I have a Toshiba Laptop which has WiFi, and a Dell Dimension Desktop. Now I'm not sure how I would configure these two computers - to have them both able to recieve Wireless Internet, OR If I can with the Dell Desktop.

I was thinking of using a Biquad Antenna, or Yagi WLAN WiFi Antenna.

I know that I will need some LMR 400 with the proper connectors to do this. With the Biquad I build I will need a N male connector for the N Female Adaptor.

With the Yagi Directional Antenna which has a PR SMA Female Pin, I will need a (RP?)/SMA male connector.

If the above information is accurate, I am wondering what I will need from therein. For a Bridge or Router. As I'm not very Tech- Sauvy.

Can I use any of these items that I already have for a Bridge or Router, and or what else do I need? If you could offer some down to earth information. Please.

I have a:

Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Modem (Screw on Cable connector)
(has ETHERNET/USB/{CABLE Screw on} PORTS)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Westel Model 6100 Model E90 - 610015-06 / Rev:G /DSL2+ Router
( has a DSL/USB/ETHERNET PORTS )
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

D Link Model WBR 1310 ( has WAN/LAN PORTS)
D Link Model WBR 2310 " " " " " " "

Siemens Speed Stream 6520 Wireless ADSL Gateway
(DSL/USB/LAN Ports) Modem

I also have a
PCMCIA Cardbus Firewire IEEE 1394a Multiports Card High Speed Extemal Devices /Model XWT 745 (32Bit PC CARD)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am wondering if it is possible to remove the antenna on one of these D LINK Routers and Put the LMR Cable in that? Is the Antenna for sending or REC the SIGNAL...?

I do think the Laptop is probably the easiest to use for receiving the signal - but I prefer the Desktop.

Thanking you all in advance for your support.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A couple of miles is a long way for a wireless connection. It would not be good quality.

But most importantly I have an issue with the fact that it is not your wireless in the first place. There most likely would be terms and conditions governing the use of the "free" wireless (i.e. only provided for research purposes or the likes).

Based on this I will not allow this discussion to continue.