Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADVENT TOUCHPAD

• Please log in to reply

Rizla72

Rizla72

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have an Advent Modena M200 laptop. My problem is 'Tapping' when I am doing anything on it and I even brush the touchpad it shoots off and opens something else or the cursor will relocate and I end up typing rubbish because Im now in the middle of a document. I have looked everywhere for a solution to this and have even emailed Advent but they haven't replied (no surprise). Can anyone help with this as its driving me crazy. Many thanks

Edited by Rizla72, 22 May 2011 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I had a similar problem with my Toshiba. It was not the notebook's or the touchpad's fault, it was me - and that made it more irritaing. My solution was to disable the touchpad. That worked for me because I always use a mouse with my notebook.

You might see if yours has a sensitivity adjustment. Check your owner's manual.

Rizla72

Rizla72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for that but its def not me and I dont use an external mouse, I could disable the touchpad but that just defeats the purpose of having a laptop. Does amy one have any other suggestions?

Riz

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I could disable the touchpad but that just defeats the purpose of having a laptop

Not hardly. A mouse will fit in most notebook cases, and is vastly easier to use than a touchpad, IF you have a suitable surface to use it on. And fortunately, with blue lasers, that can be a carpet, arm of a chair, or even a pant leg.

but its def not me

Oh?

My problem is 'Tapping' when I am doing anything on it and I even brush the touchpad it shoots off and opens something else or the cursor will relocate

That sure sounds like you, no? So if you keep accidentally brushing the touchpad and it shoots off then you either need to make it less sensitive (if possible) or retrain you so your habit is to hold your hands up and stop brushing the pad.

Did you check your manual for sensitivity settings?

Rizla72

Rizla72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for your feed back, kinda thought that this forum was to help and not ridicule. As to your question about sensitivity then Yes I have checked and this cannot be changed and its not just when my hands brush the touchpad, it can be an item of clothing or aanything.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for your feed back, kinda thought that this forum was to help and not ridicule.

Ridicule? Don't be so sensitive. We know absolutely nothing about you and your skillset. After all, I confessed upfront I had a similar problem that I was unable to resolve through any settings in Control Panel or my notebook's hardware settings.

Sorry if was unable to give you a solution you like.

Clearly if you are brushing the touchpad, with finger or shirtsleeve, and it tosses your cursor across the page, and there is no sensitivity setting, then YOU have to change, just as I did by reverting to using a mouse.

Rizla72

Rizla72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Not sensitive just frustrated. Is it possible to download a compatible driver that will give me the capability to change settings?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Is it possible to download a compatible driver that will give me the capability to change settings?

This is exactly why I like PCs and dislike notebooks. PCs have the ATX Form Factor standard the requires all ATX motherboards, ATX cases, ATX power supplies to fit, connect, and work with each other and to support "standard" PCI, PCIe, USB, and SATA add-ons and peripherals. So if you don't like your graphics solution, for example, you can replace it with one from a multitude of makers providing a multitude of models, and know it will work.

But with notebooks, there is no ATX standard. So notebook makers use and do whatever they want in their quest to make the thinnest and lightest notebook. Therefore, notebooks are very proprietary, and that's bad. While several notebook makers may use the same touchpad, graphics solution, or sound, they often "tweak" the device and/or the driver to fit that notebook.

So what I am saying is, if Advent does not have a newer driver, and your touchpad's control panel options do not allow any adjustments to sensitivity, then I see no other options for you. Sorry I could not help further. Perhaps someone else reading can.

If you do find a solution, please post it back here.

Rizla72

Rizla72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, thanks anyway.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Again, I wish I could help. It would seem with a week passing and no other replies that a solution alludes us all. I am sure others have the same problem and are tired of compensating for something that should be a simple setting. Hopefully they will post their findings. And if you do find a solution within Windows, your hardware/driver setup, or via a 3rd party program, please post back here.

Speaking of Windows, you said you looked everywhere for a sensitivity setting, perhaps I should not have assumed - did you check sensitivity settings in Control Panel? Note that even for the touchpad, these are located under "Mouse".

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Mouse > the "Device Settings" tab > "Settings..." button > Pointing > Sensitivity > Touch Sensitivity

Further down in Settings are the Tapping functions. You might play with them too.

(Depending on your version of Windows and how you view your Control Panel, the navigation to the sensitivity settings may be slightly different - but they should still be under Mouse somewhere)