Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 11.04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

yelbers

yelbers

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I Have recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 (linux) on my computer as my main OS so I'm fairly new to it. I'm trying to install vuze 4.6 because the software installer only has version 4.3 and it is EXTREMELY buggy. I downloaded the file from the website and extracted it.

When at first the program didn't install I checked the properties of every file in the folder. The ones that need to be executable are.

In turn I downloaded a new version a java from the website and installed via terminal.

BTW I have absolutely no idea how a terminal works.. Not sure what to do with it.

When this didn't work I went to the forums which had absolutely nothing about this whatsoever that I could find.

Someone did post that maybe its because I'm trying to run 64 bit swt on a 32 bit. Well thats just lovely but I don't know how to fix that.

This whole thing has turned into a million different things little problems that happen to be the sort I have no clue how to fix.

If anyone knows any tips or tricks for this OR if anyone can just explain how terminals work or anything at all that could help me to figure out my OS.

OH and I have no clue how to untar a file...and searching this stuff on the web hasn't helped.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

In turn I downloaded a new version a java from the website and installed via terminal.

How did you install Java?

BTW I have absolutely no idea how a terminal works.. Not sure what to do with it.

If you don't know how to use it, you should use Ubuntu Software Center instead. It is point-and-click.

Someone did post that maybe its because I'm trying to run 64 bit swt on a 32 bit. Well that's just lovely but I don't know how to fix that.

Which package is swt from?

This whole thing has turned into a million different things little problems that happen to be the sort I have no clue how to fix.

Well, you tried to install a 3rd party app right after starting to use it, so it is understandable that you messed your OS up. After all Linux != Windows, and most of the Windows experiences won't apply here.

OH and I have no clue how to untar a file...and searching this stuff on the web hasn't helped.

Right click the file :) Or just open it then drag and drop the contents somewhere.

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok......well I installed java by going to the java website and downloading the file. Once it had finished I dragged it into a terminal and dropped it in and pushed enter. It kinda installed itself. Other programs wont work like that, at least none that I have tried.

The software center didn't have the version I needed. Actually most of the stuff I have been trying to find on it is outdated. Thats why I only have vuze 4.3 and it is extremely buggy so I really wanted to download the newest one like I had on windows.

Regarding the swt I have no idea whatsoever what a swt is but the version of vuze that I downloaded from the internet came with swt.jar file

Actually NONE of my windows experience applies here :] Everything is fine with my computer now I love my OS but I just really want the newest version of this program it's like my main thing I use on a daily basis. for now I'll deal with the old one..

Well I tried to untar the file like you said but I'm still having trouble it isn't working..I'll try a few more times a couple different ways.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

ok......well I installed java by going to the java website and downloading the file. Once it had finished I dragged it into a terminal and dropped it in and pushed enter. It kinda installed itself. Other programs wont work like that, at least none that I have tried.

It works because Java is packaged in an executable self-extracting archive. Not all programs are packaged like that.
Also, where did you install Java in? It is quite important when trying to run a Java app.

Regarding the swt I have no idea whatsoever what a swt is but the version of vuze that I downloaded from the internet came with swt.jar file

Don't worry about it, since it is already included.

Well I tried to untar the file like you said but I'm still having trouble it isn't working..I'll try a few more times a couple different ways.

I can't imagine having an error when trying to untar a file. Are you sure that file isn't damaged somehow? Try downloading it again.

Edited by devper94, 26 May 2011 - 03:12 AM.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

section 3,q

GtoG terms of use

sorry

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Hey hey... take it easy.
In my opinion, P2P clients are not always used to do bad things. Many works, especially free (as in freedom) works, use BitTorrent for their distribution to save bandwidth. Some information are distributed via BT to protect their integrity and prevent anyone from limiting their distribution.
Too bad the ToS expressly forbid P2P discussions. I think this rule is unfair.
An opinion: maybe limit the scope of that rule to Malware forum only? Forbid the discussion of downloading illegal files? Tell users to install P2P clients at their own risk?

Anyway, since the rule forbids us talking about P2P clients, I think we should stop for now, and concentrate on the untar issue.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
i believe they should be discussed if used for legitimate purposes but they are not my rules,

to untar a file in its current directory

tar -xvwf <file name>.tar

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I can understand why there is a rule on P2P clients but I assure you I only need it for school/work. I am studying to become a game designer and use it for that only. It's the easiest way to learn all the aspects of programing from independent gamers.

I'm not exactly sure where I installed java. Ha I have no clue how to figure it out either.

ALSO: if talking about the issue of vuze makes anyone uncomfortable I'm having the same problem with other applications that I download from the internet. It's the same concept but in the end I'm only having trouble figuring out how to install an application once the file for it is downloaded from my browser.

EXAMPLE: themes or skins for certain programs that are only found on the internet (not in ubuntu software center).

Now I'm going back to untar this file if it takes forever. I'll post if there are any issues..

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

I'm not exactly sure where I installed java. Ha I have no clue how to figure it out either.

Java should be installed in the directory your terminal is in. See http://www.java.com/...#selfextracting for more information.
Generally I install it in ~ (your homedir) so that the binaries go straight into ~/bin, which is in $PATH by default in most distros (sorry if it sounds hard to understand, I don't know how to describe it otherwise). When you run Vuze your computer should pick up the Java binaries and libraries automatically.
A word of caution: I don't recommend installing Java in /usr like the link above said. Ubuntu has a package manager, and anything in /bin, /usr... should be left untouched if you are not experienced. Otherwise you risk messing up the packages. If you want to install something you should do it in a separate prefix (like /opt/soft or similar) or do it in your homedir.

I'm only having trouble figuring out how to install an application once the file for it is downloaded from my browser.

It depends on how you are supposed to install it. Generally packages come with an install guide.

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Nope no install guide here. It's alright though I'm most likely going to end up switching before I figure it out. I still have the older version of vuze (it was the only version offered by my software center) and it works alright it's just the bugs that bother me. This version of vuze picks up java wonderfully so I'm sure java isn't the problem..

I'll try finding an install guide somewhere and if this program isn't up and running within a few days I'll just have to switch to a new client.

Thank you devper94 for all of your help and patience I truly appreciate it :)

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
What is the program you are trying to install?
Maybe I could show you how to install it.

Did you install Java like I said?

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I'm trying to install Vuze 4.0.0.6. When I go to the website it automatically shows me to the Linux download button. I clicked it and it downloaded (via google chrome). When it was done I opened the folder it was in and right clicked the file (Vuze_Install.tar.bz2) and went to 'Extract here'. It opened the extracted folder and it opened itself automatically. The folder automatically named itself 'vuze' and inside I found a few txt documents and a swt.jar file along with picture files and Azureus.jar. The '.jar' files were the ones I thought I was supposed to use in order to install the program. I double clicked on Azureus.jar and it popped up with just more txt files and pic files inside of it. Same situation with the swt.jar file. This is actually as far as I've gotten with the install process. I just have no clue whick file to click on in order to get it to install. All the support forums I look at that have guides to teach you how to install it are very complex for me. I don't understand why I would have to 'put java in my path using a terminal' if java has already been found in my path. These guides also use the terminal to do everything and I've never known how to use a terminal or anything like it. Every time I read about a new way to untar a file or install one it tells me I have to actually type in which 'directory' and 'path' and 'version'. Every time I do this it ends up wrong. I am not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong but I'm basically looking for a way to install ANY program without using this stupid terminal. It seems to me that all of the files in the actual downloaded file are just pictures and documents. These files don't install anything so I don't understand why a terminal is going to help in any way.

If you want I can include screenshots so that way you can understand exactly what my problems are.

Oh and java is installed properly It is found every time it's needed.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
If you are not comfortable with the terminal you should switch to Windows.

Most operations are point-and-click, but some must be done on a terminal. Most Linux users give out terminal instructions, not point-and-click instructions, because it's easier for them that way.

Open your Vuze directory, double-click the "vuze" file.
Screenshot-37.png

Select "Display".

On the top of the file there are 2 lines:
SCRIPT_NOT_CHANGED=0	# change this to 1 if you don't want your script overwritten!
JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR=""	# use full path to java bin dir, ex. "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/"
Change these lines to:
SCRIPT_NOT_CHANGED=1	# change this to 1 if you don't want your script overwritten!
JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="/path/to/java/bin"	# use full path to java bin dir, ex. "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/"
Substitute "/path/to/java/bin" with the actual path to the "bin" directory of your installed Java. Save the file.

Right click on your desktop and select "Create Launcher". Name it "vuze" or whatever you like. Click the "Browse" button next to the "Command" box, browse to the "vuze" file you just edited. Click the "springboard" next to the Type box, browse to the file "vuze.png" (this is optional).
The Create Launcher dialog should now look like this:
Screenshot-Create Launcher.png
Substitute "/home/<username>/Desktop/vuze" with the path to your Vuze folder.
Then click OK.

Edited by devper94, 05 July 2011 - 08:28 AM.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
there is a reason that later versions of software are not offered for download in the respective repositories, they have not been fully tested and approved to work,
the packages that are in the repositories are the ones that work,

there may be a reason why the repo offered package is 'buggy',
could you explain why

its true that some packages require a terminal, but only if the user wants to

If you are not comfortable with the terminal you should switch to Windows.

is not helpful advice

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

there is a reason that later versions of software are not offered for download in the respective repositories, they have not been fully tested and approved to work,
the packages that are in the repositories are the ones that work,

Horribly wrong. It is because of the "version freeze" policy of Ubuntu. Basically, unsupported software in the repository only get security updates. If you want a new version, you must wait for the next Ubuntu release, or build the software yourself.
However, all software in the repository do not require the terminal to install. Since yelbers does not like the repository version, he has to install it on his own. He can't blame the terminal if he doesn't know how to use it.
If yelbers doesn't like having to install Vuze on his own, he should switch to Windows like I said, or use another distro.