Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 11.04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The only reason the terminal makes me uncomfortable is because I have only had linux for a few weeks now at the most. I'm fine with using one as long as I have good instructions and not outdated instructions for earlier versions of Ubuntu. I switched from Windows because I was having 'windows delayed write failed' error and it was an outdated version of windows xp so they wouldn't help me at all. Once I switched to linux the problem was automatically resolved.

Thank you for your instructions it was so much easier to understand once it was broken down :)

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Well, terminal instructions are everywhere, since like I said, they are simpler: they are only one line long while my single instruction is already 1 page long.

08x

08x

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What is terminal
how terminal works
how to untar a file

Or

https://forums.unite...to-use-t10.html

if you dont like clicking links

this is what is on forums.unitedhosts.co.uk:

Basic SSH Commands

ls -al <directory> # List directory
cd <directory> # Changing directory
pwd # Current path
mv <file to move> <directory to move to> # Moving files
cp <file to move> <directory to move to> # Copying files
passwd # Change password
telnet <hostname> # Command line telnet
ftp <hostname> # Command line ftp
ssh <hostname> # Command line ssh (secure shell)
exit # Returning to previous shell

Changing File Permissions (CHMOD)

You can change a file's permissions with the Linux command chmod. For example:

chmod -R 755 <filename>

will give the folder 'directory' and all its contents 755 permissions.

For more help with chmod you can type the following into SSH:

chmod --help

GZIP Compression

Gzip allows you to upload or download your entire site in the form of a compressed .tar.gz file.

If you wanted to compress your entire sites html folder into a single file to download you can use the following commands:

cd /home/username/

tar -czf public_html.tar.gz public_html

Now your entire public_html folder will be placed into an archive called public_html.tar.gz in your users home folder, so you can FTP in and download that file.

If you create a tar.gz file on your computer and upload it, you can then uncompress and extract that file to your web space using the following command:

tar -zxvf public_html.tar.gz

In Summary

There is so much more you can do with SSH, and it can be a real time saver, editing files 'live' on your web hosting account. You can always Google to read more and find lots more handy commands for using with your SSH access.

Edited by 08x, 01 June 2011 - 01:44 PM.

yelbers

yelbers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thank you :]