Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Printeres No Longer Connect after BT Infinity Home Home Hub I

• Please log in to reply

Diver9

Diver9

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all,

I have a very strange issue - a friend of mine has 3 wireless printers installed at home and used to have a BT home Hub 2.0. They all connected wirelessly without issue and he could print from any computer in the house with the software on.

Last week he had BT infinity fitted and a new home hub supplied.....he then found he could not connect to his printers and asked me to take a look......I firstly uninstalled all his printer software and went through the installation process again. While all 3 printers are wireless, 2 connect independantly (via printer console) and one needs to be connected to the computer to undertake wireless conection and set up.

I installed the 2 printers that could connect wirelessly withouth needing to connect to the PC - I checked the home hub settings and both printers can be seen as connected. I then installed the software to the computer and when they were trying to "find printer" on the "connect wirelessly" page - it kept saying that it could not find the printer or it could not connect to the printer.

I thoguht it may be the computer with the issue so I tried on 2 other computers including my own windows 7 laptop, but while I could see the printer as connected while on the home hub page, I was unable to access the printer when setting up.

I spoke to the head of the infinity project down here, but was not surprised to get the old you have to pay fo rtechnical help -so they supply services which screw up an established set up and then charge the earth to correct an issue of their making - in fact i spent 30 minutes with a technical guy who admitted he did not know the settings for the router and told me to try and switch off the firewall on the router! - I did, it did not work so I swtiched it back on!

I suspect it is a simple setting issue and wondered if anyone here had an idea before BT rip someone else off???

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
whats the ipaddress assigned to each printer
from any PC can you ping the IP address and are the printer IP the same as the PCs

post all the Printer Network settings details, IP , default gateway, subnet mask etc
and an ipconfig /all from a PC

try apple bonjour - see if that can locate the printer http://support.apple.com/kb/dl999

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats set for any of the printers}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Diver9

Diver9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply - I am not back to my friends until tomorrow/Tuesday so will post back after that.

Thanks

Diver