Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe application error 0x7d4caa9b

• Please log in to reply

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My parents' desktop began showing this error when I booted it up Saturday morning:

the instruction at 0x7d4caa9b reference memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be "read" ...with options to "Click OK to terminate" and "Click Cancel to debug."

My mom said an Adobe update failed Friday night but I cannot be certain this was a factor in the error occurring. The computer will not connect to the internet and I know the DSL is not causing the issue since I am able to use our wireless. When I try diagnosing the connection problem, it says it cannot acquire an IP address. I manually entered our IP address and other required info but still no internet access.

I tried these instructions with no luck:

Disable Windows Update and Windows Background Intelligent Transfer Service

* 1 Open Windows Services by clicking "Start" and then highlighting and clicking "Run." Type "services.msc" (without the quotes) into the command prompt and then press the "Enter" key.

* 2 Open the "Log On" detail panel of "Automatic Updates" by double-clicking "Automatic Updates" and then clicking the "Log On" tab in the top menu bar.

* 3 Highlight "Local System Account" and then de-select the box next to "Allow service to interact with Desktop."

* 4 Enable "Automatic" Startup by clicking the "General" tab in the top menu bar and then clicking the down arrow under "Startup Type" and clicking on "Automatic." Check the box next to "Start" under "Service Status" and then click "OK" to exit.

* 5 Open "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" (BITS) by returning to the Windows Services application window and then double-clicking "Background Intelligent Transfer Service." Repeat Steps 2 to 4 for this service.

Re-register and Re-install Windows Update

* 1 Open the "Command Prompt" by clicking start, then highlighting and clicking "Run" and then typing "cmd" (without the quotes) and clicking "OK."

* 2 Re-register the first Windows Update Registry files by typing "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without the quotes) in the command prompt and then pressing the "Enter" key. Do not type or press "Enter" until you receive a "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message. Click "OK" to continue.

* 3 Repeat Step 2 for the following Windows Update registry files by copying and pasting each one at a time into the command prompt and then pressing the "Enter" key and then waiting for the confirmation message before copying and pasting the next line:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Delete the Corrupted Windows Update Executable File

* 1 Open the "Command Prompt" by clicking "Start," then highlighting and clicking "Run" and then typing "cmd" (without the quotes) and clicking "OK."

* 2 Turn off Windows Update by typing "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes, but with the spacing) and then pressing the "Enter" key.

* 3 Open and rename the Software Distribution folder by typing "cd %windir%" (no quotes) and then hitting the "Enter" key and then typing "ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD" (no quotes) and then pressing "Enter" to rename the folder.

* 4 Turn Windows Update back on by typing "net start WuAuServ" (no quotes) and then pressing the "Enter" key. Type "Exit" and press "Enter."

Read more: How to Fix an Svchost.exe Application Error Without the Internet | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1NCRjTk3g

I am about to restore the entire system but really do not want to unless I absolutely have to. I read other threads on this same error but I did not understand them and did not want to try to attempt something I did not understand.

Thank You!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I am about to restore the entire system

I am not certain if the above means system restore., but this WAS and probably still is the best line to take.
A system restore point, immediately prior to the failed Adobe update.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I am about to restore the entire system

I am not certain if the above means system restore., but this WAS and probably still is the best line to take.
A system restore point, immediately prior to the failed Adobe update.

I actually meant a total restore back to factory settings since a system restore back to Thursday before the Adobe update did not solve the issue.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is the current situation now, can you get into windows.
If so uninstall and reinstall the network adaptor.
Will the computer return a ping.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

What is the current situation now, can you get into windows.
If so uninstall and reinstall the network adaptor.
Will the computer return a ping.

I can get into windows, every time it reboots I get the svchost.exe error. Cannot get online.

Can I uninstall and reinstall the network adapter w/out an internet connection?

What do you mean by "ping?" The computer does beep when the error pops up.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Start, run type "cmd"
type "ipconfig /all"
then type "ping and the IP address from above" that is "ping 196. etc"
see if 4 pkts are sent and four received.
If so type "ping www.google.com"
Are 4 sent and 4 received.

Post results please.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Start, run type "cmd"
type "ipconfig /all"
then type "ping and the IP address from above" that is "ping 196. etc"
see if 4 pkts are sent and four received.
If so type "ping www.google.com"
Are 4 sent and 4 received.

Post results please.

There was no IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway, or DNS Servers value listed...all were 0.0.0.0

I tried entering the IP address I got off of our gateway info but it said "Unable to initialize Windows Sockets interface, error code 0."

Also it said IP Routing was not enabled.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How is this computer connected wireless or ethernet cable

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

How is this computer connected wireless or ethernet cable

It's connected to the ethernet cable.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Control Panel, Network Connections.
Right click the device and click repair.
If that does not work on the right click, click properties and then by the box lisiting the device click the configure button.
What is the message regarding the device.

I am signing off now it is 0050hrs here in UK

Advertisements

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Go Control Panel, Network Connections.
Right click the device and click repair.
If that does not work on the right click, click properties and then by the box lisiting the device click the configure button.
What is the message regarding the device.

I am signing off now it is 0050hrs here in UK

There are two devices listed...

a 1394 Net Adapter, I tried to repair this and I get a message saying TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed.

and

a NVIDIA nForce Networking Connection, tried to repair and got a message saying it could not be repaired because it could not register with DNS.

Tried to configure both devices and both are working properly.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The 1394 connectionis not used, it simply indcates that the computer has a firewireport.

Right click the Nvidia connection click properties, in the window, this connection uses scroll down to TCP/IP and click once to select that. Then click the properties button and ensure that both IP address and DNS Server are set automatically obtain. Then click Apply and OK as necessary.
Reboot.
Do you have connection.
If not click repair again and report message from Nvidia device

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

The 1394 connectionis not used, it simply indcates that the computer has a firewireport.

Right click the Nvidia connection click properties, in the window, this connection uses scroll down to TCP/IP and click once to select that. Then click the properties button and ensure that both IP address and DNS Server are set automatically obtain. Then click Apply and OK as necessary.
Reboot.
Do you have connection.
If not click repair again and report message from Nvidia device

Unfortunately no connection.

It says "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: renewing your IP address."

On a different note, could this error be occuring because of a virus or malware?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Download this to another computer.
Save the file, transfer it to this computer and run the program
http://www.softpedia...load-15337.html

In answer to your question, anything is possible but at this time I suspect the failed download and with respect your attempt to fix the problem.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Download this to another computer.
Save the file, transfer it to this computer and run the program
http://www.softpedia...load-15337.html

In answer to your question, anything is possible but at this time I suspect the failed download and with respect your attempt to fix the problem.

It worked, the internet is working and the error is gone. May I ask what you told me to download and what it was supposed to do? Whatever it did worked.

Thank you SO much. My mom is happy to have her computer back and I am happy to not have to share my laptop anymore!