Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wargoat

wargoat

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,

I've recently registered on this great site because i was experiencing some problems with my laptop. I got all the help i could wish for and am very gratefull for that. On one specific step of cleaning my computer i had to use combofix and after the scan completed i was not able to open any programs because i got the error message:
"Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"
First of all: Most of the programs are in fact still able to open using 'run as administrator'
Second: Googling this error i found a lot of references to this problem and even on this site it has been mentioned many times. I did found that no one really could give an explanation for the error but it seemed to me that it was encountered a lot after doing a scan with combofix. I know not very much about computers but logic is logic so i suspect there might be a link between the two. That's why i have a couple of suggestions for those people who take their time in helping others.
1. When you get the error (some suggest it would be mainly a vista problem), you can still acces most of your programs by rightclicking and click run as administrator.
2. If people encounter this error it might be helpfull if asking if they used combofix before the error.
3. With me i could (temporarally) resolve the error by restoring my system to the restore point that was made by combofix before the scan.

I have no idea if this is helpfull at all or even if i posted it at the right place, but if it is helpfull i can feel proud i did something back for all the free help you guys give :)

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
First, this is not the appropriate forum to post your problem in. Please post your problem here.

Also, I want to emphasize that ComboFix is a very dangerous tool, and it should only be used when asked by a qualified helper.

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
But, i don't have a problem ... I just wanted to share this information. And when using combofix this was under the authorisation of a helper. I'm just trying to help the helpers by pointing out that this problem might have a direct link with combofix because i'm under the impression this is not commonly known. Of course i might be plain wrong but i thought it was worth looking at or discussing it.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This is a known issue that happens sometimes after running Combofix. Restoring your computer will also restore any malware that was present at the time the restore point is created. However, if you were receiving help for this problem in the malware problem, you should have asked the helper with who you were working. The common resolution to this issue is to simply reboot the computer. However, since this is not the place for discussing Combofix or any after-effects, I'm closing this topic.