Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrative Tools missing after virus infection

• Please log in to reply

LinBetz

LinBetz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
We had a trojan horse virus infection on our PC a few days ago. The virus was found and removed using AVG free edition, but not before it had caused some damage.
Most of the desktop icons have vanished, although those on the quick launch bar are unaffected. The start menu had very little on it, and the program list had most programs missing.
I discovered that many program files were hidden, and I managed to unhide these and their names now appear on the "All Programs" list but none of the names on the list link to the programs.
If I look at Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools the only thing that is listed is "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" This link does work.
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools is empty.
The Start>Search function is unavailable - although the search window does open, it contains the message that Windows search isn't running.
I am able to access Windows Explorer as I had an icon on the Quick Launch bar.

I have tried using Safe Mode to restore to an earlier setting, but it was unable to do it.

I am running XP Professional SP3, which I don't have installation discs for. We have another computer running XP Home which I have the discs for but I don't think I can use those to try to repair Windows XP Pro.
I have searched this forum but haven't found any solution. Microsoft don't seem to have a lot of help for XP - at least I couldn't find it.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do now?
Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

The virus was found and removed using AVG free edition

In view of the above, your best course of action, indeed your only real option is to go to the link below and follow carefully the advice in the link.
The quote above from your post should be taken as - ONLY what that AVG program could FIND.
You need to ensure you have a clean bill of health before proceeding.
Once you have that from the Malware expert, then you can if necessary come back here for advise on any non-malware issues that remain.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 May 2011 - 11:41 AM.

LinBetz

LinBetz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for that Macboatmaster.... will get on to it :)