Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build, won't boot

• Please log in to reply

ryanotto80

ryanotto80

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, its been a long time since I've built my own computer (think Clinton era) and I decided to give it a try again. I bought a bunch of components and put them all together. The system powers up, but I can't get anything to display. I originally had a Diamond Radeon HD 5770 in it, but when I could get the display to work I tried it with an MSI R4350 (thinking MSI and MSI should be more compatible). Still nothing. I thought maybe the RAM was incompatible (I originally bought DDR3 1600, but the board said 1600 (OC) so I thought maybe it needed 1333. I traded it out for some DDR3 1333, but still no go. Components are listed below. Can anyone tell me if I missing something or have an incompatibility somewhere?

Board - 890FXA-GD65
Processor - AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
RAM - Corsair DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) XMS3 1333
Drive - AData 64GB 2.5" SATA II SSD
Case - Antec Two Hundred
Power - Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Graphics Card - Diamond Radeon HD 5770 or MSI Radeon R4350

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ryanotto80 :)
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement CMOS battery.

ryanotto80

ryanotto80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I tried every single one of those things and still got nothing. At this point, having already tried two different brand new video cards, do I assume it is a bad board? Any other reason to suspect something is incompatible?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Well, I tried every single one of those things and still got nothing.

Do you get a "No Signal" message or anything else on your screen, have you checked the PC to screen cable for defects in particular the pins in the end connections, are any bent?

do I assume it is a bad board?

Or a bad CPU, remove the processor and check it for bent or missing pins.

Any other reason to suspect something is incompatible?

Nope, you have done a thorough job.
Having read a lot of the feedback for this model of board it appears that it has had its fair share of problems with being DOA and an early days failure rate both being a factor, you may have the misfortune of being another unlucky purchaser, are you still in warranty?