Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 CPU usage jumps to 100% after 10 min.

• Please log in to reply

jabyvogux

jabyvogux

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite Series C655 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit operating system.
About a month ago, I noticed that Firefox would seemingly at random stop responding. After this became a daily experience I did Avast and Spybot scans with no results and finally upgraded to Firefox 4.0 and this seemed to fix it, but a few days later it stopped responding again. System restores offered a temporary fix (that no longer really helps any more though) and I looked up reasons this could be while doing scans every couple of days but kept using the computer. This past week the problem has evolved. I finally checked the performance of the computer and noticed the CPU was sticking at 100%. Whereas before the use of an Internet browser seemed to trigger the problem, the CPU now sticks at 100% about ten minutes after logging in, even if I do nothing with it. If I start a download or a scan, these tend to (but not always) continue after the CPU makes the jump to 100%. Firefox, however, completely freezes up and once the CPU hits 100% I can't open any new programs. I have taken the following measures to try and find the problem:

Spyware Scans:
Spybot Search and destroy

Virus Scans:
Avast
AVG free

Registry scans:
Comodo Registry Cleaner
WinMend Registry Defrag

Other:
Defragmenter
Disk Clean-up
Adjusted my performance options to the best performance.

All of these programs were updated at the time of the scans. The two virus scans turned up nothing. Spybot came up with some spyware, but performance has not improved after deleting them. WinMend seemed to work just fine, but Comodo has acted suspiciously. The registry scan cleaned all of the problems it found (hundreds!) except five. The five were connected to COM_ActiveX and a few additional clean ups do not remove them. Comodo's disk cleanup found a few items and deleted them all, but Comodo's privacy scan is where the weird stuff happens. It'll clean up everything but if I restart the computer and do the scan again I get dozens of new items that need to be deleted.

I honestly have no idea what is doing this. I've checked the processes that are running when the CPU sticks at 100% and the worst offender is something called TeaTimer.exe which will quickly alternate between 00, 03, and 05. That doesn't seem like it would cause it but I figured I better list it just in case. I just recently clicked to include all users processes and there are a few programs called consent.exe that don't have a user name attached.

Any and all help will be much appreciated. I'll give any more information that could be needed. Thanks in advance.the best performance.

Advertisements

jabyvogux

jabyvogux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can anyone help me with this or is my computer really that messed up?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you checked the temps on your machine? It could be over heating.
You can uninstall Spybot's Teatimer ... http://www.ehow.com/...eatimerexe.html

jabyvogux

jabyvogux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I haven't checked the temperature, although it doesn't feel any warmer to the touch. Where would I find that information?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Find the entire path of consent.exe and upload it to http://www.virscan.org/
Have it scanned to see if it could be malware (disguised as a legit file)

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can monitor the temperature with SpeedFan (it's free) http://www.softpedia.../SpeedFan.shtml

jabyvogux

jabyvogux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer completely froze on me before I could delete teatimer so I'm currently doing a system restore in safe mode since that improves things ever so slightly. How do I follow the path of consent.exe? Sorry, I'm very much ignorant when it comes computers still.

jabyvogux

jabyvogux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
And the system restore failed.

"details:
System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source: %SystemRoot%\registration
Destination: ComPlusStaging"

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See what process is hogging the CPU http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert