Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice needed for custom PC

• Please log in to reply

EvigOptimist

EvigOptimist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I am building my first PC and need some input on the components I have selected.

My system requirements:
* Win 7 as base OS
* Programming [Visual Studio]
* 2 x VMWare instances simultaneously
* Basic design [photoshop]
* Movies [but not games] --- so maybe even the on-board graphics card could work for me?
* System should be as silent as possible and allow overclocking without getting overheated easily

My current setup:
* i7-2600k
* Asus P8Z68-V Pro
* 16GB Ram ( 2 x Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8 GB (2x4GB) CL9 )
* Corsair TX750W
* Cooler Master HAF X
* Corsair H70
* OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
* Dell Ultrasharp U2311H

What do you guys think about this system? I actually wanted to go for the Fractal Design R3 chassis as I read that it was real great with the noise issue and the price wasn't that bad either. But then I read some place that heat was an issue with this case. I also wasn't sure what cooling systems I could use with this case. So I am still unsure about this issue. HAF X seemed like a safe bet, maybe even overkill.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
A page to compare cases, > http://www.newegg.co...4^11-129-174-TS

I don't think the integrated graphics will be a lot of good for photo, video work but depends on how serious you are. as you will not be gaming I advise a workstation graphics card.

The SSD has a very limited amount of space. Once you have installed the OS and programs there will be little room for DATA storage.

I advise 1TB HDD with 2 large partitions, 1st for Photoshop ETC, 2nd, general DATA and a small 3rd one for a image backup.

EvigOptimist

EvigOptimist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your input iammykyl. I think i will stick to the onboard graphics card, and later, if I see the need, I will just buy a graphics card :)

Any advice on choosing the chassis/cooling?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Any advice on choosing the chassis/cooling?

The only one I have running at the selection page is the Antec P183. I moved the rear fan to the front and installed a fan as exhaust connected to the system fan1 header. Fans set at half speed. PC runs very cool and quiet. With all fans set on high noise is more, but you hear more rushing air rather than fan motor noise.

They are all quality products. On the Newegg site the HAF 932 seems to be one of the most popular. I think you have to ask, what DON'T I really need, then pick one.

Any thoughts on my comment about the HDD?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I like Antec cases too. I look for a case that has multiple and large (120mm or larger) fan support. My cases need to allow easy access - no screws. And finally, I will never buy a new case again that does not have washable, removable air filters.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Would appreciate an update.

How has the build gone? are you happy with the performance?