Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer start-up issue

• Please log in to reply

cryanathus

cryanathus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got an interesting problem - I have this one computer I've been running for about a year now. I just replaced the processor and this problem began.
Specs: Mobo: Asus A7V8X-X
Former Processor: AMD XP 2000+ - Socket A
New Processor: AMD 2700 - Socket A

The old processor was removed to put into a new computer. After installing the new processor, I can't get the computer to stay on for more than a few seconds. I'll turn it on, it'll boot up like normal, and somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds later, it will turn itself off. Before attempting to turn it back on again, I have to flick the power switch on the back of the power supply and flick it back on. I barely get enough time to get into the BIOS because it turns off so quickly - and even if I do make it in, the settings I've managed to change thus far have no effect. I also get no beep codes of any kind. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
How is the heating on this system- it might be overheating without a good heatsink and proper cooling and automatically turning itself off...any other hardware changes?

cryanathus

cryanathus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The heatsink is the exact same one that was on the other processor which worked fine for over a year - either way, it couldn't be overheating in a matter of seconds, could it?

cryanathus

cryanathus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
And no, all the other hardware is exactly the same. No ideas, anyone?

Edited by cryanathus, 31 May 2005 - 08:58 AM.