Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unity Engine

• Please log in to reply

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
If anyone is familiar with the Unity engine, it is a browser based, 3D game engine. I love to play games created in it, but one major issue is that it does not support multiple processor cores. I often play a game called Atmosphir and was curious as to if there was a special way I could multi-thread my browser so I do not play the game with only 25% of my power. :)

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Simply put, no. If the engine doesn't support multiple CPU cores, you can't force it to use multiple CPU cores.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was just hoping since Unity runs inside the browser (in the task manager, the load is specified to be "Chrome" not Unity) that I could find a multi-threaded browser to run Unity to run in and see if that would work. I just find it horrible that the fact that I can only use 25% of my processing power is bottlenecking my gaming experience. I have 6GB RAM and a 1GB Graphics card with a quad core processor...gaming should not be an issue. :/

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Technically, Chrome is a multi-threaded browser. That is, it treats each tab as its own instance of the application, so each tab can run on a different core of your CPU. However, as I stated, the problem doesn't lie with your browser. The game engine itself would have to support multiple cores in order for your CPU to be fully utilized.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ahh ok, that helps some. I had hoped that it could create different instances with one tab for each individual core. I am not even entirely sure if this is possible, however. I guess I will have to get used to 30 FPS on the game until Unity 4 comes out (assuming they include multi core processing there anyway).

I am still curious as to why any 3D gaming engine would be so ignorant to deny multicore or 64bit processing in this day and time. :)

Edited by Thunder7102, 18 June 2011 - 03:07 PM.