Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blinkx beat

• Please log in to reply

dokie33

dokie33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I must have downloaded this program called blinkx beat, and now I can't uninstall it, it has random videos popping up when the laptop is idle. I have tried to remove it from the computer but it asked for an administrator password, and I don't have a password on my laptop. I don't know what to do. I have tried to do the OTL download, but it won't download to the desktop. I already have Malwarebytes and it has run, to no avail. Help Me Please!!!!!

Edited by dokie33, 24 May 2011 - 09:52 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Would help if you would mention which version of Windows you have.

Right click on the desktop and select Properties or Personalize and then select ScreenSaver. Make sure it does not have blinkx beat set as the screen saver. Either turn off the screen saver or change it to something else.

Now reboot and when you see the PC maker's logo, hear a beep or it mentions F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you get to the Safe Mode menu and choose Save Mode. Choose Administrator. Normally there is no password so just hit Enter when it asks for a password. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Find Binkx Beat and Uninstall it.

If that works you may not have Administrator powers for your login.
Go into User Accounts and verify that your login has Administrator power:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783 (XP)
http://www.geekgirls...erguide_uac.htm (Vista/Win 7)

If that doesn't work then:

Right click on Start and select Explore. Find C:\Programs Files and under it should be a folder called Binkx Beat. Right click on the folder and select Delete. IF it won't let you then go into the folder and delete the individual files.

Start, (All) Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt (Vista or Win7 must right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator). Type with an enter after the line:

msconfig

Click on the Startup tab and uncheck any entry that mentions Binkx. Apply. Click on the Services tab and if you see Binkx there uncheck the associated box. Apply and reboot. Tell msconfig not to bother you again and close it.

That should get rid of most of it. It's not supposed to keep things from downloading so you may have some other malware.

Check for a malware proxy:

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

If you still have problems:

Use a manual DNS:
1. Click "Start," click "Control Panel," click "Network and Internet Connections," and then click "Network Connections."
2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure (the one you use to connect to the Internet), and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then click "Properties."

4. Click "Use the following DNS server addresses," and then type 8.8.8.8 in the Preferred DNS server and 4.2.2.1 in the Alternate DNS server boxes.

5. Click "OK"

Reboot.

If that doesn't help then try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can get on line and download OTL that way.

Ron