Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU noise and internal tempertaure questions

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I have a HP Pavilion 750n desktop with a Pentium 4 processor. My PSU fan is making an annoying buzzing sound. It's really loud when I first turn on the system (it sounds like a food processor), but dies down after a few minutes, but after that, it's intermittent but getting more frequent. I checked the system temp with PC Wizard and it said that my computer temperature is 38ºC (100ºF). I'm on my third PSU on this computer and the current one is less than a year old. I'm really getting frustrated at having to invest so much money into this old desktop (new sound card and all those PSUs in the last year). Everyone says I should just get a new tower, but with the new Windows 7, I am concerned that my old software won't work on it (like MS Office 2000). There was a power outage a few weeks ago. For an hour there was like a "brown out" (low electric current), then the power just went out for about an hour. My computer was on during the brownout, but it was making revving noises. After the electrical outage, I started to notice this noise. The outage also disabled my sound card. I wanted to know if this sound is anything to be concerned about, if the outage could have affected the PSU, and if the temperature is normal. Thank you.

Advertisements

Joemo1127

Joemo1127

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can't speak to your PSU problem.
But I just wanted to say that Windows 7 does support Office 2000
So you don't have to worry about that :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Running any equipment during a brownout is not a good idea. That includes anything else like appliances.
There is potential for damage to ALL components in a device.
The PSU could be damaged as well as the main board and drives and anything else electrical.

Joemo1127

Joemo1127

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was interested to find out more about what happens to PSU's in brownouts myself so... I found this for ya

"In a brownout, power supplies need to draw more current to compensate for the lower supply voltage, which is very stressful for transistors, wires, diodes, etc. They also become less efficient, which makes them draw even more current, aggravating the problem."

Also I found out that brownouts can sometimes end in surges, depending on the reason behind the brownout. So if there was a surge, who knows how it could have affected the PSU.

My advice is that you should get another PSU. Then get a surge protector as well, seeing as theres probably some underlying reason for you being on your 3rd PSU for the year.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Here is a screenshot of what Everest reported on my temps and fan speeds. Please comment on anything unusual. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• sensor temps.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
+12 volt rail is extremely low and may be the root issue. Double check the readings by doing the following.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The 5 volt rail is also low.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Here is my speedfan run result

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Evidently your board does not like speedfan OR you have some major issues.

Install and run Cpuid HW monitor and post a screen shot.

HW Monitor

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you are dealing with a PSU issue here 123Runner.
Even if it didn't like Speedfan Everest showed a problem also. If HWMonitor shows discrepancies I would suggest replacement. :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This may be your PSU, > http://www.outletpc.com/da7661.html

If it does turn out you need a new PSU, I advise you look for a compatable one BUT a better quality brand.

If you have upgraded your video card the 200w PSU may no longer be good enough. You would need a more powerful one.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Here is a screenshot of the HW monitor scan.

Attached Thumbnails

• HW monitor.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All 3 programs show a low reading on your +12 volt rail.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
With the following comment....

I'm on my third PSU on this computer and the current one is less than a year old.

What is the make and model of the current psu?
What is the wattage?

Either the ones you are buying are underpowered, are bad quality, or you have power issues in your area (or all 3).
Everything points to a bad psu again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree with 123Runner on this.
The make and model of the PSU will tell us a lot about what is going on. Is this the same type you have had all 3 times?