Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

HP Pavilion A335W will not come on

• Please log in to reply

mbeards5351

mbeards5351

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think my motherboard has gone out. The green light by the power supply lights but as soon as I press the power button it goes out. I can unplug a 4 wire connector (2 yellow and 2 black wires) from the motherboard and the power supply light will stay lit when I press the power button, but the computer does not come on. As soon as I plug the 4 wire connector back in it makes a small popping sound (like a short) and the power supply light goes out.

Advertisement

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,175 posts
Hi mbeards5351 :)
You need to try a known good PSU (power supply unit) this is an old system so you
will need to make sure you get a compatible replacement, use the specs available @
http://www.atxpowers...-atx-300-gu.php for guidance, pay particular attention to the actual
size of the PSU 6" X 3.5" X 5.5" do not purchase from there as you can get a better
quality one for less, an example can be seen @ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371003
Do not power up again with the present PSU as it could blow the whole system, it may
have already damaged some or all other components so loaning rather than purchasing
a replacement PSU if at all possible is my suggestion.

I can unplug a 4 wire connector (2 yellow and 2 black wires) from the motherboard and the power supply light will stay lit when I press the power button, but the computer does not come on.

This is the 12V ATX supply which powers the CPU.