Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OOPS! Did I break something?

• Please log in to reply

ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can someone tell me if I broke something.

I have 2 PCs, PC1 and PC2.

PC1 is my work pc and I used a router to move files from PC1 to PC2 for storage. Both PC's used the internet.

So I got a new internet service that does not come with a router, so I needed to move files from PC1 to PC2 and did not have a flash drive handy.

So I took a Ethernet cable and pluged one end into PC1 and the other into PC2, Then tried to set up a network connection, Could not get the connection to work so gave up onit.

Now here is the bad part....

Everysince then, PC1 can not get a connection to the internet anymore, PC2 is fine.

When I plug PC1 into the cable modem now, I get the message "this connection has limited or no connectivity. you mighty not be able to access the internet or some network resources."

I also get this..... "this problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

I try to renew the IP address but get "can not renew IP address"

I tried guides online and follow all the steps but it just wont work. IP and DNS are both set to Automatically aquire address and all that.

I even did a full destructive system restore on PC1, disable all firewalls and security and it does the same thing, Just cant connect. I plug PC2 into the modem and no problem.

I am thinking the plugging the Ethernet wire into both running PC's may have shorted something out in my main PC?

I know I damaged something I just do not know what or if it is something I can repair.

Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements