Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP treats 1394 as a CD player

• Please log in to reply

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I plug in my external 1394 firewire drive, XP takes it as like putting a CD into the CD drive and searches each logical drive on it (there are about 5 such) trying to launch Media Player with it. How can I convince XP that these are hard drives, not something to be autoplayed?

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
have you tried plugging it into a different usb port?

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

have you tried plugging it into a different usb port?

View Post

It's not USB, it's firewire (1394). I have only one of those ports.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
at some point, you chose to automatically do this when a window popped up asking you what to do and the default action was checked.

plug in the device, close anything that occurs, the right click the drive in MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES< then choose AUTOPLAY...select what you want to occur, or choose PROMPT ME....

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

at some point, you chose to automatically do this when a window popped up asking you what to do and the default action was checked.

plug in the device, close anything that occurs, the right click the drive in MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES< then choose AUTOPLAY...select what you want to occur, or choose PROMPT ME....

View Post

I don't get any AUTOPLAY tab or option. What I see are the following taps:
General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, System Restore, Automatic Updates, Remote. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I think you right clicked on MY COMPUTER, rather than the DRIVE within MY COMPUTER

HBinswanger

HBinswanger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I think you right clicked on MY COMPUTER, rather than the DRIVE within MY COMPUTER

View Post

Tried it both ways. No dice. Right clicking any of the external drive's logical drives (F: thru K:) I get a menu list with Autoplay on it, and when I click on that (Autoplay), it simplies tries to play it (which is just what happens when I plug it in). I tried selecting "Take No Action" on the dialogue box that comes up when it can't find playable files, but that just means "Take no Action right now."