Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Mini Can't Connect to Other Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply

LittleBachman

LittleBachman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
All right, I've had this HP Mini for two years and it never gave me any trouble. Now (after some issues with a malware program I succesfully removed) it won't connect to any wireless networks but the one at my house; Unsecured or secured that I have the Network Key for. I've been searching through forums from every tech site I can find but every solution I think might work and try, fails.

The network will show up, I'll try to connect to it, everything will be going fine, then I get the message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

BUT, when I try to manually renew said IP address using the command prompt it gives me these messages:

For plain ipconfig: "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: Media State . . . : Media disconnected"

For ipconfig/renew: "Window IP Configuration: No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

I'm using an ordinary XP operating system. I recently reloaded it because of the malware and then used a backup of my files and settings to get my hp mini back to the state it was before the whole ordeal. Now it will only connect to my home wireless network which defeats the purpose of having a small laptop I can take with me anywhere.

I've seen a few people who had the exact same problem but no one gave them a solution that worked. I've seen more than a few with similar problems whose solutions don't apply. Please, if a solution exists it would be more than greatly appreciated as I am quite literally at my witts end.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Check the TCP/IP portocol to ensure it is set automatic for IP address and not configured for static IP.

If that is not the problem, I would uninstall and reload the latest driver for the wireless card.

If that does not work I would try winsockfix
http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml