Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP USB Setup/ Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Chrome101

Chrome101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

My first post on this site so apologies if this question is in the wrong place.

My problem is this: a few days ago there was a power cut in the neighborhood while my pc was on. When the power came back on (about a hour later) I switched pc on and everything was working fine except for an error message ' usb devices not detected or may have malfunctioned' that kept flashing up in the system tray. The only usb device that was connected is a usb external hard drive but was not switched on at the time of the power cut. Since the power cut no usb ports have worked even tho I have tried every possible way I have found to get them working but to no avail.

Things I have tried:

Unplugging and reconnecting hard drive,updating drivers,rolling back drivers,totally disconnecting pc from mains and leaving overnight but none of these have worked and every time I reboot pc the error message comes back and flash's annoyingly at me until I disable the host controllers and root hubs in control panel.It appears that the total usb setup is dead. Have tested external hard drive on daughters laptop and its working fine.

What I would like to know is (1) will a usb pci card with its own drivers work and (2)if a usb pci card will work,would the 2 sets of drivers (card's and windows)conflict?

Sorry if this appears long winded and thanks for any help offered.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Chrome101 ... :) ..:unsure:

What I would like to know is (1) will a usb pci card with its own drivers work

probably...

if a usb pci card will work,would the 2 sets of drivers (card's and windows)conflict?

nope

if its only the usb problem then you may cripple along...if there are other issues you may have to replace the mobo and/or other components

Chrome101

Chrome101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks happyrock. Have ordered a pci card. If that works, fine,if not then it will have to be a new motherboard.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it should work as long as other parts of the mobo survived the power event...