Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 9

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I'm out of my league here so I need help. A lady at work knows I play with computers and asked me for help, I don't know the answer. She says her PC is Windows 7. Last week a message appeared for an update to Windows 9. She accepted and now has problems with the PC, the internet task bar is missing. I told her I did not know of Windows 9, that it may be Internet Explorer 9. She swears it is Windows 9.

My first question is, is there a Windows 9?

And my second is, how do you get the task bar back? Or, do you uninstall IE9 and just be done with it.

Thanks.
joe

Advertisements

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Has she tried to restore it to before she did the update?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Has not tried a restore. Did try to uninstall thru add/remove programs. Was not listed.

joe

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It was most likely IE9 for Windows. I do not know what she means by Internet Task Bar.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
My mistake calling it task bar. The toolbar. After the update, when she opens internet explorer, all the toolbar shows is where you can type in an address to search the web and the "home" icon. Nothing else.

Since it is when she opens internet explorer, I'm thinking IE9 as well. How do you remove it? She said when she looked in add/remove programs, neither Windows 9 nor IE 9 were shown, even though "show updates" was checked.

joe

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Too many like terms that mean similar things, but require different steps to fix.

I think she may need to look again. With Show updates on, under Microsoft Windows, it is listed as Windows Internet Explorer 9. If she uninstalls that, it will roll her back to IE8, assuming that is what she had before.

Still, I think you should try to figure out what she really means first. She might mean the Google search bar or Bing's version of the same. Or some other add-on bar that she was used to. And then maybe all she needs is to install it again. Or enable it from Tools > Manage add-ons.

IE9 is the best, most secure IE yet. Part of "Practicing Safe Computing" is keeping our systems updated with the latest, most secure versions. It is best to get her to IE9, rather than hold her back at whatever she was using - even if progress means changing our habits.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
She should use Firefox its ten times better than explorer

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes, a whole new topic, not this one. This thread belongs to tjmcs.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thanks for all the help, guys. Her problem was IE9 did not work well with her system. Told her to google IE9 removal, she did and it worked. Now computer is back to normal and all works well. Told her to READ all about an update before she updated, even if it means googling.

Thank you.
joe