Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Rootkit Infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I no longer feel that the problems are malware related, having to wait to reboot after shutting down is a good indication of heat problems

I will tidy you up now and let me know if the vents are clear

Subject to no further problems :yes:

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Uninstall ComboFix

Remove Combofix now that we're done with it.
  • Please press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run... command.
  • Now copy/paste this: ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.

Posted Image

• Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
  • This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.
  • You will then recieve a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully once it's done uninstalling itself.

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Posted Image

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe :unsure:

Advertisements

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well, I tried to run an MBAM scan but it ended in a BSOD... :'( shall I clean up anyway? And every time I run a Disk Check, it ends with a STOP UNKNOWN HARD ERROR screen...

Edited by rvold7871, 27 June 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye and once you are done we will take a shufti at your hard drive... What is the make and model of the hard drive - this can be got from device manager

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
There is no make; all it says for the make/model is ST960822A...does that even mean anything?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you go here and download Seatools

On this page is a tutorial on how to use the diagnostic tool
Select the top heading Seatools for windows installation and tutorial

Once completed let me know the result please

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
That's a cool little program. One of those things everyone should have in my opinion.

So I ran some tests, and the drive (for which I still have no manufacturer name for you) failed the S.M.A.R.T. Test, the Short Drive Check and the Long Generic Check. I'm assuming that's a bad thing. It did say I could run SeaTools for DOS which could potentially repair whatever is wrong...? Shall I try that? Or is it pretty much the same thing as chkdsk?

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
So I decided to see what would happen if I ran SeaTools for DOS and I'm finding out very quickly why the scans and chkdsk have been failing. I've ran the Long Test three times now, and each time the drive has failed. I've noticed that once it reaches 100 errors, the test fails, giving you the option of repairing the errors. I'm stuck on 4%, and every single LBA is an error. I believe this program could potentially fix the drive, because every time I choose to repair the errors, every error is repaired successfully. The only downside is that I can only do 100 at a time. :\ Is there a more efficient way of doing this or do I now have something to do for the rest of the summer?

(The Next Day)

Well, SeaTools for DOS stopped being able to repair the errors. Is there anything else we can do for this thing? Or is the drive pretty much shot?

Edited by rvold7871, 29 June 2011 - 08:18 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Methinks it is now time to back up your data and purchase a new hard drive before this one fails.. They are relatively cheap at the moment.

Do you have a windows CD or is it on a recovery partition ?

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have a Dell CD but I bought it on Ebay and it's Service Pack 2...do you think that will work? And can you replace laptop hard drives?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That are fairly easy to replace .. Instructions are here

Once installed you will need to replace the OS using the Dell disc

First though back up all your data to a cd prior to removing the disc

Advertisements

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Could I use an external hard drive? And the computer is fairly old...will any new drive work? Or is there a specific model I need to look into?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes that would be the perfect solution

What is the model/make of the laptop and I will check out compatible drives for you

rvold7871

rvold7871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Dell Inspiron MXC051
Intel Pentium M processor 1.73 GHz
1.73 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Would you also like the service number?

Thank you so much for doing this for me!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It may help yes :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ahh found one have a look here