Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with Aoe 2 Expansion

• Please log in to reply

Bo-Train

Bo-Train

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Guys,

Today I decided to take a step back in time and play Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors expansion on the net.

I signed up with a zone account, downloaded the necessary update to play, turned off my firewall so it wouldnt block the game, and was all set.

I joined a game, the host started it up, and it went to the screen where it says Loading Multiplayer Game. It makes me wait for about a minute then says unable to connect to game, or failed to connect to game, (one or the other)

I tried multiple times with other rooms, but the same thing pops up.

What the heck is going on, and what should I do?

Thanks for any help.

-Bo Train :tazz:

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
if u have router try this http://support.micro...kb;en-us;240429 or this http://zone.msn.com/...icle/support303 and make sure aALL FWs r off

r011ingthunder

r011ingthunder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I'm new to this place, and it seems to provide invaluable help with various issues... except on this particular topic.

I too am having serious difficulty playing AoEII/ The Conquerors expansion online. Everything goes perfect until the multiplayer game is started, then it says unable to join game.

Please don't point me to the Zone help or FAQs as I have read these to death, and followed their advice to a "t".

I have tried it with:
Windows Firewall on and off
ZoneAlarm on and off
All the recommended ports opened in ZoneAlarm with the Windows FW off.
I even opened (and then forwarded) the ports in my Linksys ADSL Gateway.

IT JUST WILL NOT WORK.

This is a major problem as far as I'm concerned.
I'm running on XP Home.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP, AS THIS IS MY FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME.

Oh, just to mention it, I actually got it to work ONCE, just once for about 1 min of game time, then it crashed. I know this makes the problem even harder to define, sorry. I cannot remember what settings I had enabled/disabled when I got it to work, sorry. I could never replicate it again.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can provide.

Regards,
Dave.

Bo-Train

Bo-Train

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yea man that is exactly what is happenin too me. It is also my all time fav, as I used to play it in my wee years, and grew up loving it.

I am extremely pissed off. :tazz:

Any more advice please??????

lonest*r

lonest*r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It's amazing how many people have problems running AOE2 out there. I'm having exactly the same problem. Played for years on 2 x win2k machines the introduced a XP machine and it just can't join or create a game on the LAN. There's no firewall running, the XP machine can do file transfers fine to the other PC's, Everything seems fine network wise it's AOE can't see the games. I can ping the other machines. I'm completely baffled.

r011ingthunder

r011ingthunder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:
Damnation! This thread seems to have died, I was REALLY hoping someone would take this problem on and sort it out for me.
;)
Dave

lonest*r

lonest*r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I did fix the problem. I found that you need to have the same version of Direct X insatlled on all machines. AOE uses DirectPlay and it doesn't work if the versions are drastically diferent. I installed v9.0c on both my win 2K machines and that then matched the version on the XP machine.

You can even use "dxdiag" in the command prompt to check the verion and even to test direct play communications are working before you even start the game.

Hope this helps.

r011ingthunder

r011ingthunder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:
That's great lonest*r, well done!
Now, that's the LAN problem sorted (though I didn't have a LAN problem, others did), how do I go about sorting out my online multiplayer problem? Surely I don't have to make sure that everybody in Zone.com has the latest version of direct x do I? Or is this a completely different problem altogether?
Probably more confused than ever now! ;)
Dave.

lonest*r

lonest*r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Why don't you try upgrading anyway r011ingthunder. I found the update hasn't caused any problems for me yet. There's also an update for AOE to v2.0a I think. Try that too if you haven't got it because i know you need the right version.

r011ingthunder

r011ingthunder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi lonest*r,
I've got the latest version of Direct X (vers 9.0c according to DxDiag).
I have AoE 2 updated to V2.0a and the conquerors (which is the one I want to play online) updated to version 1.0c.
Everything is up to date, but still cannot play online :tazz:
Regards,
Dave.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
The problem is not a hardware issue. The issue is caused by your router. There are two solutions.
A. Smash the router and direct connect to the Modem
B. Foward ports on the router by going to ur router admin console. (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.10.1) and fowarding the ports.

Oh...maybe upgrade your routers firmware

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 22 June 2005 - 02:24 PM.

r011ingthunder

r011ingthunder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Molex,
I forwarded the ports on the router as far as I remember. This fixed the problem for one game, then it was back to the same ole situation. Upgrading the firmware, what exactly does that do? The "router" I'm using is actually a:
Linksys ADSL Gateway with 4-port switch (Model AG041) if that helps.
Thanks for your advice,
Dave.

Augustus

Augustus

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I too have the same problem; I've disabled the Windows firewall and have opened up the necessary ports as well as downloaded the patch, yet I get stuck on the Setting Up Multiplayer Game screen.

lonest*r

lonest*r

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try using the "Test Direct Play" feature in dxdiag with someone out there. Type dxdiag in the "run" option in the start menu. You only need a mates IP number and they start a chat session. You should be able to connect and chat in the window.

Augustus

Augustus

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was actually reading about the problem and, for me at least, the ports for DirectX 8.0 and up are different from the ports of 7.0 and below.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;240429