Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PREVENTION from Format of my Computer!

• Please log in to reply

thebest19

thebest19

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys I really need help on this 1,

My brothers been trying to reformatt my computer (dont ask why) with the XP CD and recently went about myself to put several security measures. This is what ive done.

• Password for loggin at startup
  • Changing my bios settings so you cannot boot from USB or CD
  • Password on my BIOS settings
  • Disabled Boot menu

I need to know if theres other ways he could do it please try to help me i think ive done everything.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Remove the hard drive and put it in a safe. When you use it plug it in. When you are done unplug it and lock it in the safe again. That is probably the best way. Remember, if he has physical access to the drive, formatting it is trivial.
Also most BIOSes have default passwords for support access. Even without a default password, BIOS protection can be removed by simply removing the CMOS battery.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"Remove the hard drive and put it in a safe. When you use it plug it in. When you are done unplug it and lock it in the safe again"

Effective? Yes

Practical? Definitely not unless it's a laptop!

I can't believe you would suggest that without first asking the OP if it was a PC or a laptop.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
A practical choice might be asking him directly not to reformat the drive.

Anyway, if your brother is committed to formatting the drive for some reason, the only way to protect it would be lock it away. Although not completely practical, it is the only way to completely secure the drive from being formatted.I haven't heard of another way to do that.

Remember that BIOS protection can be broken easily. It is probably the weakest link.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Why not take the XP cd from him?
But if he is that determined he will probably find another cd.

To my knowledge there is no practical way to stop him other than locking the computer/laptop away.

thebest19

thebest19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok obviously removing it wont happen. But ive put a password on so that when my computer turns on, if you want to choose one of those options (boot menu, setup etc) you will have to type a pass to get in. AND if you dont the next screen will be asking you for a password. I dont see how anyone can get through let alone boot from an XP CD. What do you think?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Open your case, take out the CMOS battery, wait a few minutes, put the battery back again, and watch your password prompt vanish automagically. BIOS protection is not good enough.

Maybe lock your brother out of the computer?

thebest19

thebest19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so your saying thats the only option he can go through?. I can bet my life he wont physically go about it. Plus he wouldnt know something like that. So nothing else he can do if i have passwords stopping from even accessing the boot up screen?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Nope, most BIOSes have "default" passwords that always work. He can just use that to boot with his Windows CD.
Why don't you speak to him that you don't want him to format your computer? After all it's yours.

thebest19

thebest19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so he needs to use the default password thats his only option? He definately wouldnt know that either, btw what is the default pass

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You, and very likely your brother, can find out the password in less than 10 secs:
http://www.google.co...k bios password
Google knows everything :)

thebest19

thebest19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
first of all he cant go on the internet, and he wouldnt know this info either so can u plz forget about default bios password thing. Just let me know if theres any other things he could do

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
He can reset the password by sending debug commands. But considering your brother it's quite hard.
That's probably it. I don't know any other way.

But seriously, what's the point? He will find out the way sooner or later. A simple Google search told exactly that.