Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Refurbs

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I'd like some feedback from forum members about buying refurbished computers. More or less I'm asking if you think it's a good deal or should buyers stay away from refurbs.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It depends. If the manufacturer is selling them, and they have a standard warranty, then they are probably fine.

If this "refurbished" machine is being sold at a flea market, you take your chances.

I would not do refurbished on-line unless the company had a very solid reputation - and again, a good warranty. If buying local, check the BBB and make sure the store will be there next week.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Personally, I've had very poor luck with refurbished items. Especially motherboards and video cards.

I really wonder what they "refurbish"? Generally it's an item that has been returned by a customer do to a defect. It's not 1990 where they can simply replace a diode or transistor. They probably run them through a standard QC check and send them back out. That doesn't mean they'll perform fine in the field.

Even though I'm a known cheapskate, I never buy refurbished anymore. It's just not worth the hassle.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I really wonder what they "refurbish"? Generally it's an item that has been returned by a customer do to a defect. It's not 1990 where they can simply replace a diode or transistor. They probably run them through a standard QC check and send them back out. That doesn't mean they'll perform fine in the field.

not necessary there are some transistor + Power problem can be Fixed by simply replacing the diode or stuff like a capacitor

anyway i do stress test all of my products

so if you get a GPU stress test it by furmark or 3d mark or something else if it worked fine
you saved a couple of bucks else Go to manufacturer ;

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I really wonder what they "refurbish"?

I suspect most have nothing at all done to them as I suspect most returned items are simply returned because the user did not install or setup correctly and assumed the thing was bad. Or he simply did not want it, or ordered the wrong part and now, it is an "open box" item, and like so called refurbished, cannot be sold as new.

I personally have bought "open box" items from Newegg with no problems and will again if factory warranty is still intact. And I might buy a refurbished from the original maker. But I will not buy a refurbished from a retailer as I believe something can only be refurbished properly at the factory. Retailers just don't have the facilities to test and repair.

I know many years ago I had a Gigabyte motherboard that, after 3 1/2 years, failed due to leaky capacitors. I contacted Gigabyte and they sent me a "refurbished" board that had all new caps. That board is still running fine today.

Side note: That board had a 3 year warranty. Gigabyte provided the replacement free - including shipping both ways. While I was upset the board failed due to inferior caps, the way Gigabyte handled my complaint has made me a Gigabyte fan for life. And I note the replacement board has superior solid caps - not the same flaky electrolytics.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I know many years ago I had a Gigabyte motherboard that, after 3 1/2 years, failed due to leaky capacitors. I contacted Gigabyte and they sent me a "refurbished" board that had all new caps. That board is still running fine today.

Retailer Mostly sucks i agree with that

I had a Bad experience with a MSI retailer that made me Pull my hair

that retailer was simply stupid and made me never buy any MSI product again :)

Edited by todo, 14 June 2011 - 12:12 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not sure it is right to blame MSI if the retailer is the main problem. MSI has a history of making quality products.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I've purchased a number or refurbished, open box items. Like I said, I'm cheap. :)

Most performed just fine, but a couple bad apples soured my views. First was an ATI 9600 video card. It suffered from stuttering. At first I thought it was a driver issue. Updated drivers never helped. Then I thought it might be a heat issue. Added a new heat-sink-fan, didn't help. Finally replaced it. Spent way more time than money I saved. Second was a motherboard. It would randomly reboot. No bluescreens, no errors, just reboot. Not even very often, but of course usually when I was working on something I didn't want to lose. Swapped out power supplies, spent time running memtest, even swapped out hard drives. Finally replaced the mobo and all was well. Again, far too much time and effort spent.

Moral of the story (for me anyway), refurbished items generally have a much shorter warranty, and are more likely to suffer from odd errors that are difficult to diagnose. Between the time spent diagnosing, and the money spent replacing the parts out of warranty, I'd never recoup my losses by buying more refurbs. I avoid them like the plague.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Not sure it is right to blame MSI if the retailer is the main problem. MSI has a history of making quality products.

it was a trusted retailer

and the employees done a very very stupid mistake and they refused to take the Blame for it or replace my mother board
and the customer service was horrible

so for that i only chose ASUS

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

it was a trusted retailer

Well, maybe I'm confused but that would cause me to avoid the retailer, not the product maker. If I bought a Sony TV from BestBuy and BestBuy messed up the installation and did not accept responsibility, I don't see boycotting Sony for that.

It reminds me of some U2 fans in Oakland California who are suing for refunds because there was an accident on the freeways causing a 5 hour traffic jam and they missed the concert. It was not U2's or the venue's fault.

Advertisements

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
he is the only dealer here sells Msi product But i'm no sad i have alternatives to MSI

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Coincidently, if you are a Newegg subscriber, they are having a sale on "Recertified Bargains!" with all parts '"manufacturer-certified" to be as good as new.'

One item that caught my eye was this HP (or is it?) monitor. "Debranded"??? I have seen so called recertified products where the brand name is scratched out or covered over. I note the picture has a disclaimer saying that is not the monitor you will get.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
yeah Newegg has a great prices

i Like LG products and this Monitor Looks Good

I don't know De branded Product seems a bit weird Don't you think so :/

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

De branded Product seems a bit weird Don't you think so :/

Yeah I do. But then, I really would not consider buying anything HP except a printer - and a new one at that.

LED backlighting too. Yeah, that LG looks like a good deal, but for $20 more, you can get a new one that has a 3 year warranty instead of 3 months.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Gr8 i will get the tiger redirect one then :)

it Looks amazing