Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply

Eddie0225

Eddie0225

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, the wife's computer(Pavilion dv7-1127cl) won't boot -up I've done the reset and most everything else I can think to do.

You press the power button and it acts like it's going to start normally, you hear the cpu fan start and run for a few seconds then stop, then you hear the dvd start you know going through the normal boot but the dvd keeps doing a boot check it won't go past that it keeps looping the dvd boot it will do this continually I've only left it on for 5 mins then I shut off. I've tried putting in recovery disc only keeps doing the loop. I've tried getting into bios no can do. There are 3 led lights on the front right corner first is power it comes on the other 2 battery and hard-drive don't. Only thing I can figure is the Hard-drive or motherboard seeing it won't go into bios I'm thinking more motherboard,any ideas at all would be helpful to say the least. Computer is a few weeks over 2 years old 3 week past warranty lol
Many thanks for any that respond.

Computer specs.
OS Vista 64 bit
Microprocessor 2.10 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Memory 4096 MB
Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M
Hard Drive 320 GB (5400 rpm)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi Eddie0225 :)
Do you get anything at all on the screen if not have you tried connecting to an external screen using the VGA port?

I've tried getting into bios no can do.

Sometimes this is purely a matter of timing the tapping of the correct key and it can be tricky, what key/s have you tried tapping on powering up?

I've tried putting in recovery disc only keeps doing the loop.

It is a fair assessment to suspect the HDD or MB (possibly the HDD to MB connection) with the symptoms you describe but it may also be a power or Ram issue, the looping is the system looking for a bootable device but as you know not being able to get into the BIOS you cannot change it so that the CD/DVD drive is 1st in the boot order.
Have you tried removing the battery and running with the AC adapter only, any change?
You may need to remove the HDD at some point, see page 59 @ http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01918142.pdf a failed HDD will not prevent you from getting into the BIOS, this information is stored on the MBs BIOS chip.

Eddie0225

Eddie0225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Eddie0225 :)
Do you get anything at all on the screen if not have you tried connecting to an external screen using the VGA port?

I've tried getting into bios no can do.

Sometimes this is purely a matter of timing the tapping of the correct key and it can be tricky, what key/s have you tried tapping on powering up?

I've used the Esc key and F10 the 2 keys that normally get into her bios I've worked on her comp. before so know it's the right ones.

I've tried putting in recovery disc only keeps doing the loop.

It is a fair assessment to suspect the HDD or MB (possibly the HDD to MB connection) with the symptoms you describe but it may also be a power or Ram issue, the looping is the system looking for a bootable device but as you know not being able to get into the BIOS you cannot change it so that the CD/DVD drive is 1st in the boot order.
The dvd is first in boot order

Have you tried removing the battery and running with the AC adapter only, any change?
You may need to remove the HDD at some point, see page 59 @ http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01918142.pdf a failed HDD will not prevent you from getting into the BIOS, this information is stored on the MBs BIOS chip.

I've also checked the RAM took out the DVD,HDD, and also took out battery and drained the system. Once I power up all it does is this in this order all the leds light up normal except for the HDD and battery(everything else lights up normally) the fan comes on and runs around 5 secs then cuts off the the dvd loop starts it will continue the dvd loop till you cut it off. Also when I tried powering up with dvd removed the only thing it does is fan runs for 5 seconds then cuts off nothing more after that.If it was a desktop I'd say MB right off the bat but I haven't did anything much with laptops so not really certain if it may be the same.

Edited by Eddie0225, 29 May 2011 - 11:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
The MB looks a strong contender then, possibly a short circuit in it somewhere, I can`t think of any other reason why the battery and HDD LEDs do not light up.
What about connecting to another screen using the VGA port, have you tried this?

Eddie0225

Eddie0225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I haven't tried that I know there is no other activity as you don't hear the HD spinning or anythnig else other the the DVD looping

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
From post #2

a failed HDD will not prevent you from getting into the BIOS, this information is stored on the MBs BIOS chip.

Trying to establish if you can at least get a BIOS screen, if you cannot it suggests the MB and in particular the BIOS or video chip may have failed.
On a side note you will be surprised how many people myself and others have helped get their displays back because they have toggled between the laptop and external screen unknowingly, every avenue needs checking.

Eddie0225

Eddie0225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no bio's screen if it tried to go into bio's it wouldn't loop the dvd only reason I didn't try to hook up another screen