Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5 Minute Freeze After Modem Connect

• Please log in to reply

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Dillster - You an Nstock should see what more you have in common, such as:
- applications
- utilities -
- common websites

Tremortime may have some common component also

Discussion leads to solutions

Good Luck
Jack123

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you did not start this thread, start your own.

for the original poster

download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

Gingernutz

Gingernutz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I also have this very same problem on a 512kb/s ASDL connection, after the five min freeze, everything is fine (including internet and email) unless I disconnect and re-connect.

The symptoms that I have are this...

If I start Outlook Express 6 for example, the dial-up box comes up for broadband, connects to remote computer, verifies username and password, dial-up box closes as normal, receiving mail icon appears in lower right of outlook screen, clock in taskbar freezes, no connection icon appears in the task bar until the freeze clears after about five mins, upon which, the clock jumps forward to the correct time, the connect icon appears in the taskbar and my emails appear in Outlook.

Very similar pattern if I just connect to the web with IE6 too.

I use Norton Internet Security 2005, Norton Systemworks Premier 2005, XP Home, Windows update (and all other updates) are up to date. I have recently tried Microsofts Beta version of it's own spyware tool and also spybot and these have not helped me to locate the problem.

I have tried to lauch Task manager, but this is also affected by the freeze so no useful information has yet been captured.

Does this help to track down the problem? Been going on for a few months now and I can't get to the bottom of it.

My machine is older and is otherwise very stable and reliable, Abit K7 mobo, Athlon Xp2000+ processor, 512Mb RAM, 2x 120Gb IDE HD & 2x IDE DVDRW, running Win XP home. My ISP is Virgin (licenced through NTL I recently learnt) and I use a Thompson ADSL modem provided by them.

Gingernutz

Gingernutz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just run the win sock fix utility on my machine and I have noticed a significant improvement with little delay connecting to the net now....maybe you should try this on your machine?

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry I'm just getting up to speed on this thread, what is the "win sock fix" program?

Has the freeze after dial-up problem been resolved? I've been having the same problem for several months...

This thread points to a potential solution...has anyone tried it?

http://www.xpforum.c..._45__index.html

Thanks,
Jim

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
This thread started May 30th

It is kind of compromized . . . Too many added problems

This is your 1st post? Welcome !

You should start your own using new topic & give detail of your exact problem:

I know it is hard to describe a problem . . .if it was not . . .you would not have one . . . .

You would be better off . . . .Posting your own

Welcome again,
Jack123

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Jack, if nothing comes of this I'll try a new thread in a couple of days, when I can get back to it :-)

MrWalrus7877

MrWalrus7877

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same exact problem which only started after I downloaded AVG Free. What's weird is that while most of the programs hang, AVG's control panel still works. If I click Check For Updates, after all the programs start working it will say that the updater is already running. As soon as I open a certain amount of programs (right after connecting to dialup), they all come up at the same time. I'm guessing AVG (the updater) is the culprit. I think the updater watches for an open connection, and then hangs the computer once the connection is open, and for some reason once enough resources have been taken up, it starts working again. I haven't found any solution except just keeping opening programs, which is such a hassle since I have to close them all afterward, or open Internet Explorer before I dial. Maybe someone will figure out an actual fix, rather than just a workaround.

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
That's an interesting observation. I don't have AVG Free, but I do have several other programs that looks for updates automatically (FF, Fix-it Utilities, Windows XP :0) . Maybe there is some kind generic issue with anything that wants to jump in as soon as the connection comes up?? :tazz:

Does it always come unstuck after the same sequence of opening other programs? Mine seems to be more time-dependent, i.e. it hangs for several minutes regardless of what I open in the mean time.

Jim

MrWalrus7877

MrWalrus7877

• Pip
  • 2 posts
No, it doesn't happen with the same sequence of programs every time (at least I don't think, because there are so many programs running it is hard to count). But there usually comes a point that as SOON (that very instant) as I open one more program all the programs come online, including the AVG Updater. I have no idea why that is. I have done it many times, and it always seems to work out this way. Sometimes if I wait, though, it will stop hanging, but that usually takes WAY too much time. Also, it doesn't ALWAYS hang after I dial-up which is weird (at least recently anyway). I almost wish it would hang every time so it would at least be consistent.

Advertisements

CirrusDX

CirrusDX

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've solved the issue! refer to http://www.geekstogo...46 which is the more updated thread for the problem.