Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded to win 7 and did not activate in time. computer shutdown

• Please log in to reply

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Thanks Doc I`m forgetting my English :unsure:

No biggie. Happens to the best of us. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Trying a known good PSU needs to be a priority, your last post shows that something is very unstable and if it is the PSU it may blow at any time and possibly take the entire system with it.
Just so you are aware the PSU in your case is smaller than a standard ATX PSU (see .jpeg below) but if you can loan a standard size for testing it will help rule in or out the PSU as the cause of your shut downs.

I have a standard size PSU from my old dell computer but the wiring is different.. They have a different number of pins for the connectors..
I am going to take a picture of both right now, so if you are have a couple of minutes to hang around or come back to here to check it out..
Really!!! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to lend a helping hand. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.. This site, the people on here are awesome.. Be right back!! Jc
Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
there are two pictures next too the large one.. can I really connect that large(standard) PSU to my little Slimiline???

Sorry I didn`t catch your last post before calling it a day.
The suggestion to try another PSU was only for testing purposes so it is not necessary for the test PSU to fit inside the case, you only need to connect the main components and then tidy and secure any unused connections so that they cannot come into contact or interfere with any other components.
The important thing/s to look out for are that the connections are the same, a 20 pin main power connector or a 24 pin main power connector etc (see pictures below) correct me if I am wrong but do I see a 20 pin and a 24 pin type in your pictures!
A comprehensive gallery of power connections available @ http://www.playtool....connectors.html
When did you take the Speedfan readings please.

cannononballz2027

cannononballz2027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Trying a known good PSU needs to be a priority, your last post shows that something is very unstable and if it is the PSU it may blow at any time and possibly take the entire system with it.
Just so you are aware the PSU in your case is smaller than a standard ATX PSU (see .jpeg below) but if you can loan a standard size for testing it will help rule in or out the PSU as the cause of your shut downs.

I have a standard size PSU from my old dell computer but the wiring is different.. They have a different number of pins for the connectors..
I am going to take a picture of both right now, so if you are have a couple of minutes to hang around or come back to here to check it out..
Really!!! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to lend a helping hand. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.. This site, the people on here are awesome.. Be right back!! Jc
Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
there are two pictures next too the large one.. can I really connect that large(standard) PSU to my little Slimiline???

Sorry I didn`t catch your last post before calling it a day.
The suggestion to try another PSU was only for testing purposes so it is not necessary for the test PSU to fit inside the case, you only need to connect the main components and then tidy and secure any unused connections so that they cannot come into contact or interfere with any other components.
The important thing/s to look out for are that the connections are the same, a 20 pin main power connector or a 24 pin main power connector etc (see pictures below) correct me if I am wrong but do I see a 20 pin and a 24 pin type in your pictures!
A comprehensive gallery of power connections available @ http://www.playtool....connectors.html
When did you take the Speedfan readings please.

That's what I was saying that the connectors do not match..
As for the speedfan I'm running linux so it won't run on linux.
I was trying to find the temp. in the Bios when I start it up but couldn't find any readings..
Do you know of any programs for linux that will allow me to get the temp??
Also, I noticed in the BIOS it stated under one of the tabs, i forget which one, s5113w which is
the model of the slimline but if I'm running linux as my O.S> why would that show?????
Is the BIOS related to the motherboard???
could the motherboard be causing this problem?
It's just strange that there is no error message when it shutsdown, it goes through the
same process as if I clicked the shutdown button-"saving settings"-"shutting down"
I thought one time I seen an error that said cse.exe or something very similar, I could be off a
letter in "cse"...
I removed the burner and a the stick of ram that put added thinking that may help with low wattage of the PSU..
So frustrating to see a pretty much brand new computer sit here, that runs like gold while on, just shutdown...
It means a lot you are trying to help me with this... thanks so much, Jay

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Is the BIOS related to the motherboard???

The BIOS is part of the motherboard.

could the motherboard be causing this problem?

Sure, but, it's usually RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Any luck with borrowing a PSU you can test with?
A bad PSU can spike and drop the output, one consequence is extra heat is generated which can cause freezes and shutdowns and another is the system simply shuts down due to a lack of power.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Scroll down for Linux http://hubpages.com/...perating-system

cannononballz2027

cannononballz2027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
no not yet.. I'm about to reinstall vista just so i can install speedfan just so I can see
what the temp is... It's been off for weeks now, so it will run for a couple days before shutting down..
I ttok out the dvd burner + the stick of RAM that I added. I have Ubuntu running but I can't find a way
to get a temp reading.... thanks for checking up... ya know what's crazy, like a month ago I took it to the
geek squad at best buy.. I told them everything I tried, they said that's basically what we would have done..
Then they "offered" to fix it for $160, and no guarantee... I can't afford that besides that's almost half the
amount I payed for the thing... Unbelievable!! Which route do you think I should go? Thanks, Jc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No harm with going the Vista route if only to get the temp and voltage readings but
for peace of mind trying a known good PSU would be a wise move (when you can).