Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted some registry keys now can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is maddening.

(I'm using mini windows on a bootable disc on the dead pc) so I just imported the 2 good drivers via a flash drive and copy / pasted them into place.

Made no difference - the thing hung just after Mup.sys again.

What difference might it make if I copy them from the Restore Console files instead (I mean - why might that work)?

Yipes - this is also where I'm headed (post from a different board)

"Hard disc stops booting with "Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC". I did XP repair option from disc but made no difference"

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm sounds like whatever happened has really doinked the system. Is the data backed up safely now that you need to save?

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just to be clear: the following isn't me, its just someone who didn't fix the same sort of problem...

"....(post from a different board)

'Hard disc stops booting with "Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC". I did XP repair option from disc but made no difference' "

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 09:51 PM.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

There is NO EULA in this ARC.iso CD, so no in-place upgrade for me.

Do these look legitimate?

http://www.softuniqu...n-E85-05707.htm

http://www.softuniqu...HP-e85-hpxp.htm

Worthless $%^& HP customer service - I'll never buy another HP as long as I live

Edited by D Holliday, 29 May 2011 - 10:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to borrow one like you have installed on your system.

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Can't I create a recovery CD off of my working PC to use on the dead one? They are both XP Pro SP3...

EDIT IN: I have found 213 .CAB files, which per this link, say I can make my own installation disc (no winnt.exe file tho)

http://www.askdaveta...llation_cd.html

So - gather them in a few files and then burn a bootable CD??

EDITED IN #2: Hmmm - the dead PC has 196 .cab files AND the winnt.exe and winnt32.exe files and i386 folder...

MAYBE the dead PC is already internally recoverable off of a bootable disk ??

"Open up My Computer and open C: Look for an i386 folder. In it, there is a winnt.exe that will reinstall XP. If you have a DVD burner and a DOS recovery floppy, you can burn the i386 to a DVD and reboot to the floppy, navigate to D:\i386, and type Winnt to reinstall. Almost as good as a fresh XP CD, but not quite."

EDITED IN #3: OK working on making a bootable CD following these instructions http://forum.worldst....php?t=114674??

Edited by D Holliday, 30 May 2011 - 04:07 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know when you are finished as I have no ideal what you are doing and we don't use work arounds like this.
Simply put borrow a Win Xp of the same type you have installed on your system.

Home
Media Pro
Along with being a OEM or Retail version.
Needs to be the same SP version also

Then you can do a simple repair installation to bring everything correct.

Worthless $%^& HP customer service - I'll never buy another HP as long as I live

Since this is a HP have you tried to use the built in Recovery partition?
Have you asked them about purchasing a set of recovery disks for your system?

D Holliday

D Holliday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Let me know when you are finished as I have no ideal what you are doing and we don't use work arounds like this.

YOWZA! A HAPPY ENDING! After only 2 weeks of my life.

That link at the 3rd Edit I added above freakin' WORKS!

My dead PC had the i386 folder and files, so using a bootable CD I copied those to a USB drive, followed the instructions at the link, and burned my own Windows XP Pro SP2 CD, which had the EULA - I did a repair, and rebooted to my same settings and data!

BTW this is not shady / piracy / hacking etc - I used the i386 file from my own PC to recover my own PC!

....never did get to the bottom of that hangup after the Mup.sys...

Thank you for your help (really - its great when folks respond...)

Edited by D Holliday, 30 May 2011 - 09:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 15 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Advertisements