Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD: tcPip.sys and asWSp.sys errors

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Essexboy and Ellie8.
Try testing your memory as this looks like it may be a faulty memory module.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for your reply. This might be a stupid question, so do forgive me... but how do I know if I have one stick of RAM or two please?

Also, what did I do to make it go 'bad'? I don't want to make it go bad again!

Thanks.

Edited by Elle8, 02 June 2011 - 09:46 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This might be a stupid question, so do forgive me... but how do I know if I have one stick of RAM or two please?

Not a stupid question unless you don't ask it.
If you don't know just do the Memtest86 software test and we will deal with the how many modules later if need be.

Also, what did I do to make it go 'bad'? I don't want to make it go bad again!

Memory is a electronic piece of machinery that can go bad at any time without any warning. In some cases it will just error out like yours is and hopefully give you time to replace it.
I'm not sure if this is the problem but from reading the topic it looks like it might be a good place to check.

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK. Thanks very much to you and EssexBoy: neither of you have made me feel too stupid.

I've asked OH to print out everything so I can follow written instructions. Once I've done it, I'll post back on here with the result, so bear with me please.

Should I stop using the laptop until this has been done please?

Thanks.

Edited by Elle8, 02 June 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Thanks for jumping in Ron, saves a PM :unsure:

I think we can rule out Avast as being part of the problem now - and your memory canned is much better than mine :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think we can rule out Avast as being part of the problem now - and your memory canned is much better than mine :)

I agree Avast is not the issue. The canned you are welcome to and if you like I can send it via a PM for you.

I've asked OH to print out everything so I can follow written instructions. Once I've done it, I'll post back on here with the result, so bear with me please.

No problem and Essexboy and I work a lot together so hopefully we can help you out.

Should I stop using the laptop until this has been done please?

Limit your use till we can figure out where the problem is. No gaming, movie or video watching until we find the culprit.

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok. I'll use the desktop until it's fixed. The desktop is slower, even though that has 2GB of RAM too... shouldn't they both be as quick if they have the same RAM?

Let's hope I don't find testing RAM too scary :).

... WATCH THIS SPACE.

And thank you. I appreciate it.

Edited by Elle8, 02 June 2011 - 12:48 PM.

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi

When i go on img burn website, I get a message saying before you download check your pc for outdated drivers. It then goes to a uniblue website. Is this ok to do or should I skip it.

Also, which version of imgburn should I download?

There are eight different Mirrors:
http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download

Thank you for your help.

Elle!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mirror 6, 7 or 8 will do. I personally would get it from 7

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Good morning

I bottled doing the MEMTest myself. A neighbour looked at my laptop. He said the problem was caused by the fact that an update had been unable to install so my drivers were not up to date. He's sorted that now :). He didn't think there were any problems with the RAM.

Watch this space and thank you for your help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does this mean the issue has been resolved then? :)

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I had the laptop back late last night and haven't been on it much this morning, so I can't say for 100% sure yet. Can you guys keep this thread open please for a few more days to give me time to test it.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close topics in this particular forum so it will remain open. I will continue to monitor for your update. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
So will I :) Still here you see

Elle8

Elle8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Guys