Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp install repair

• Please log in to reply

el_jack

el_jack

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have a compaq laptop that has registry problems. It has xp pro on but it did not come with the machine. xp home came with the machine. Can I do a repair install using a dell reinstall cd? I don't have the xp key numbers for the compaq machine but it must be reinstalled again.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can I do a repair install using a dell reinstall cd?

No way and you will most likely cause your system to become unusable if you do.

I don't have the xp key numbers for the compaq machine but it must be reinstalled again.

Depending on the recovery that may be included with your system try the below. Be warned it may completely erase your system so take care what you do.
Compaq laptops:
reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F10

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

I don't have the xp key numbers for the compaq machine but it must be reinstalled again.

In order to activate Windows XP you will need the Product Key. It's usually on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You can find your current key using Magic Jellybean Keyfinder. Just get the free one (1st column).