Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

External HDD Woes

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me.

I've just got a brand new external hard drive (Verbatim, 300 GB) and have had nothing but problems since I started to use it.

I plugged it in, stored some files on there, and all seemed fine. Then when I next tried to plug it in, it needed formatting -- I lost everything.

Now I've tried loading more stuff on it, and it froze during transfer. I turned off the CPU, unplugged the HDD. But now I can't do a single thing.

I plug in the HDD... and after about 5 minutes it recognises it's plugged in. There's no autoplay coming up. I have to go to C: and find it. But when I try and open the folder now, it takes an absolute age. It just doesn't open it up. I tried right-clicking, and it just slows down and eventually crashes windows explorer.

Is there a way out of this never ending spiral?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
If it's new and not working, return it.