Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me pick the right pieces for gaming cpu

• Please log in to reply

Mike301

Mike301

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok basically i will be buying the hardware to the computer at diffrent times that way ill be able to put together a gaming cpu without having to sacrifice on performance to much

right now only thing ive decided to pick out is the processor

http://www.tigerdire...730552&csid=_21

i need help picking compatible hardware and a good tower case . i dont need the super extreme items just enough to play shogun total war 2 on ultra settings. thanks to whoever helps

Edited by Mike301, 30 May 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $500 Gaming PC
http://www.tomshardw...-6850,2903.html

System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC
http://www.tomshardw...clock,2893.html

System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $2000 Performance PC
http://www.tomshardw...cking,2876.html

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

ok basically i will be buying the hardware to the computer at diffrent times that way ill be able to put together a gaming cpu without having to sacrifice on performance to much

I don't see how buying parts at different times affects performance. If you mean, "as budget permits" you will be purchasing parts, I would suggest that is a bad idea. Rather, you should build your budget, then purchase all that you need at the same time. If you purchase the CPU today, there may be a cheaper, better one next month. Advancements in technologies ensures your parts will become obsolete the day after you buy them - or so it seems some times. It is sad to see brand new, never used parts go obsolete sitting on the shelf.

RESBAK

RESBAK

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Also, when you buy one part at a time, you waste precious RMA time should one of the components turn out to be defective.

Mike301

Mike301

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
>.> thought this site was suppose to help people put together build of cpu not turn them away from it

thank you spyware for atleast giving me a link ... said i wanted a computer that would run shogun 2 on ultra settings the recommendations for a game shouldnt be changing and i would have the everything bought within a month and half

Edited by Mike301, 31 May 2011 - 10:45 AM.

RESBAK

RESBAK

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
No one is driving you out, but welcome to the forum anyway!

For the build, could you post your budget requirement? Are you gonna use your computer for other purposes? Do you still need to buy an OS? And are you open for other types of processors? It'll be easier for people to help you pick parts once this is posted :)

Edited by RESBAK, 31 May 2011 - 11:22 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
System_Builder_Marathon, March 2011: $500 Gaming PC
http://www.tomshardw...-6850,2903.html

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 925 - $125
CPU Cooler - AMD boxed heatsink/fan - $0
Motherboard - ASRock M3A770DE - $60
RAM - G.Skill 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1333 (PC3 10600) Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS - $40
Graphics - Sapphire 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1 GB - $170
Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320 GB SATA 3Gb/s - $43
Case - Xigmatek Asgard II B/O CPC-T45UE-U01 - $30
Power - Antec EarthWatts Green EA380D 380 W - $40
Optical - Lite-On 24x DVD Burner SATA iHAS 124-04 - $19
Total Price - $527

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

>.> thought this site was suppose to help people put together build of cpu not turn them away from it

We are here to help people - but that is not just for picking parts. It includes spending money wisely, and practicing safe computing.

Note that only retail Windows licenses are transferable to new computers.

Also, as noted, we need a budget. And, what else do you bring to the table? Keyboard? Mouse? Monitor?

Mike301

Mike301

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just need a tower and hardware inside no os keyboard mouse . i have this giant metal tower its a athalon and only thing that was in it is a motherboard and under the processor it says socket462... the processor says amd and year 1999 lol my question is can i use this and put a good motherboard in it or do i need a new tower. 700 dollar budget

Edited by Mike301, 31 May 2011 - 08:25 PM.

Mike301

Mike301

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
o and id like a cpu that could be upgraded easily in future

Edited by Mike301, 31 May 2011 - 09:00 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If it is an ATX tower case, you can still use it. If it is an old AT style, maybe not. We would need exact model number, though I suspect you are fine.

As for the CPU upgrades, that will depend on your motherboard.

Mike301

Mike301

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i got this accer aspire laptop is there a way to upgrade the motherboard and graphics card on this cuz as it stands this has intergrated card >.>

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Probably not. Notebooks are very proprietary so upgrade options are typically very limited and it is likely you would not be able to find a new board that fits. And if you could find one, it would likely be very expensive and a new notebook would probably be more cost effective.

Also, understand that nearly ALL notebooks use integrated graphics.

Mike301

Mike301

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea i hate integrated graphics >.> just gonna stick with building a tower just waiting for motherboard to get here so i can tell if ill need a new tower

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Understand integrated graphics today are not the same as integrated graphics of yesterday. They are much improved and capable of meeting the demands of all but the most serious gamers and designers. They have to be because integrated graphics are being used in more and more high-end home theater computers, designed to support the highest resolutions expected in that environment.