Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

urgent computer problem HELP!

• Please log in to reply

lilman224

lilman224

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok well i downloaded a program and the computer im using didn't have virus or malware protection so i got screwed over in more ways then one but anyway i think it may be the registry all my icons turned into shortcuts the only way im on the net is by going to my computer in the start menu and typing in an adress but anyway it wont let me download anything and when i try do that it asks me what program i wanna use to run that program when its supposed to be able to run all by its self my audio properties are shot i cant get into them and all the programs in my control panel are sht as well you go to click on them to open them and an error box appears saying (c:\\windows\system32\rundll32.exe) application not found if anyone knows what i should do please post a comment cuz i have no idea what the [bleep] to do and i don't know if i should reinstall xp or what i don't wanna lose all my stuff either thanks
adam

Edited by SpySentinel, 15 June 2011 - 05:44 PM.
Removed Email Address ~ SpySentinel

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Click Start > Run, type in:

cmd

and press [Enter]. At the CMD prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

and press [Enter].

(Note that you may be prompted you for your XP CD). When it's done, reboot and test.

--

If that fails, try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when the computer was functioning correctly:

--

If that fails, try an XP repair:

• Boot the computer from your Windows XP CD.
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
  • Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
  • Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
  • Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

--

How to perform a re-install of WinXP
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315341

Repair XP
http://www.webtree.c...Existing Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897