Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Update Vista to SP2

• Please log in to reply

Izero

Izero

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear all :unsure: ,

Greetings. I'm having trouble installing SP2 for my Vista; via Windows Update and the standalone installer (KB948465). Both times, I get similar error codes (0x800f0900 in installer and 800F0900 when installing via Windows Update).

I've run CHKDSK but still, it's not getting installed. Could someone help me through this? I know support for SP1 is ending real soon and I'm kinda nervous about the failure...

Thank you in advance!

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• SP2_fail.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Izero :)
Try manually installing it @ http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Izero

Izero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello phillpower2,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've tried downloading the 300MB+ installer (besides using Windows Update) too before coming here. Even tried the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista but to no avail...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Is this the first instance that you have attempted to update to SP2 and if so can I ask why, possibly brought about by another issue?
Updates are just that, but they are responsible for many things with system security among them, was SP1 always kept up to date? Sometimes a later update will not install if a required earlier update is missing.
Please leave SP2 for now and go to http://windows.micro.../windows-update and see what updates are suggested for your computer, let us know how you get on with this.

Izero

Izero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've wanted to update because a friend told me that support's ending soon. That was back in January. The SP2 update will not appear until all updates were successfully installed. I have always let Windows Update do its job of downloading and installing although I must say there are times when one or two failed. Then again, SP2 will be offered and when attempting to install it fails.

I'll do what you've suggested and see if there's anything that needs installing. Will get back to you next week as I'll be away from the computer during the weekend.

Thank you. :)