Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UV reactive cables, lighting, and painted I/o panel

• Please log in to reply

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey everyone, like the topic says. . . I got a few questions on my newest build, well opinions.

Has anyone tried out the uv cables and what's your opinions/recommendations?

And I am OCD and wondered if it is possible to paint an I/O panel? It faces out inti my room, and I want it to match th black backing so it is less visible

Thaks for the posts

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Has anyone tried out the uv cables and what's your opinions/recommendations?

I think they are a waste of time. Glow in the dark cables do nothing for performance. For me, I want my computer case to sit quietly and discretely off to the side and not draw attention to itself. After all, I pay attention to what's on my monitors, not the case.

As for painting the I/O panel - I am sure you can but it would have to be done very carefully to ensure no paint gets where it shouldn't. I would advise you DON'T paint it, however. The I/O shield - that metal insert (the panel itself) with all the port holes typically has many "tines" - metal fingers that are specifically designed to make positive contact with the case and the port housings. This is necessary to ensure each port is properly grounded and "shielded" against spurious RF interference (RFI), and it helps prevent RFI too.

My advice, turn your computer around, or just learn to accept the shield as it is.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

As for painting the I/O panel - I am sure you can but it would have to be done very carefully to ensure no paint gets where it shouldn't. I would advise you DON'T paint it, however. The I/O shield - that metal insert (the panel itself) with all the port holes typically has many "tines" - metal fingers that are specifically designed to make positive contact with the case and the port housings. This is necessary to ensure each port is properly grounded and "shielded" against spurious RF interference (RFI), and it helps prevent RFI too.

Thanks for your feedback Digerati, I did not know about the panel grounding the cables, in that case I won't bother.

As for the lights, yes performance is number one in my book as well,but I love being able to look at it and say it's genuine. I always wire switchs into the lights so they are only on when I need them to be, like when company is over or I feel like watching it glow.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

like when company is over or I feel like watching it glow.

:unsure: Well, whatever makes your boat float! I looks at case lights as things that do nothing for performance, generate some heat, consume some power, and do nothing for performance - worth repeating! There's an old saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t." With fancy lights, you can do both! :yes:

That said, when I walk in my office at night and see well over 60 blue, green, amber and red LEDs glowing on my computers, network hardware, monitors, UPSs, etc, it is pretty cool! :)

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Like I said before I agree with you it doesn't affeect performance, BUT I still take pride in not only the performance of my PC's, but also the aesthetics. Its cool for a computer to run awesome,but it is just awesome if it looks good doing it. I put well over 2000 dollars into my rig I would like to see what I put into to run good. Just an opinion,

Edited by adanniels, 02 June 2011 - 12:40 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hey! I understand completely.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I had an Idea last night and I wanted your expertise on. . . If I only painted the face itself on I/o panel would that effect any grounding?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No. In fact, some motherboard makers put a custom label on the outward side of the shield.

Any place the shield touches metal of the case, or a port's outer casing, there should be NO paint, dirt, skin oils, etc.