Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Laptop Monitor busted, disabled secondary...

• Please log in to reply

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've tried two different secondary monitors with my laptop now and neither works. My laptop will still switch on and log in but the screen cracked 'cus I closed it while a mouse was on the keyboard (doh). I think there's a graphics option in the tray that disabled the secondary monitors since they were working fine for a while, but I can't edit the options without seeing them :).

I don't want to do a clean install either since there are a few files on my laptop that I need. Oh yeah, when I plug my monitor into my laptop it says "no input" until it gets to a point where the monitor's screen would usually light up, then it goes into power save mode and displays "move mouse or press key on keyboard" when I press the options button on it, but doing either of those just switches it back to power save mode.

I have two peripheral problems that might have simple solutions: my sister's primary laptop gets stuck on loading screen (just Microsoft and a progress bar underneath) and my PC has a hardware failure noise when starting up (and there's no display, the two monitors I tried with work fine on this PC). Usually it means my graphics card has come loose but I've tried reinserting it twice and get the same problem. My brother attached a magnet to my PC which might have been the cause of the problems, heh.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Cheers, Kieran.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi gamerunknown
What is the make and model of your laptop, have you tried toggling between the laptop
and the external screens by pressing the Fn key and one of the F1 to F12 keys (possibly the F5 key).

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It's a HPG61 and I've pressed all the Fn keys and the Ctrl Alt Keys too as far as I can tell :)

I could give it another spin of course.

Fn + F4 has a monitor symbol on it but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm thinking that perhaps the Nvidia graphics option is overriding the keyboard input.

I was thinking I could switch hard drives with my sister's laptop but I can't find my miniature screwdrivers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I've pressed all the Fn keys and the Ctrl Alt Keys too as far as I can tell

There is only one Fn key, it is the 2nd key, bottom left corner of your keypad (see picture below) it is however used in conjunction with the F keys so in this instance press the Fn key + the F4 key at the same time.

Fn + F4 has a monitor symbol on it but it doesn't seem to do anything.

What do you mean by this? The Fn + F4 part is a bit confusing as only the F4 key has a monitor symbol.

I was thinking I could switch hard drives with my sister's laptop

If you mean placing your HDD in your sisters laptop then it makes sense but removing your sisters HDD and fitting it in your laptop is unnecessary at the moment.

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

There is only one Fn key, it is the 2nd key, bottom left corner of your keypad (see picture below) it is however used in conjunction with the F keys so in this instance press the Fn key + the F4 key at the same time.

Context man. I pressed all the fn + keys (i.e the fn key in combination with any key that has a secondary function when used in conjunction with the function key). Likewise the monitor symbol is on the F4 key but it obviously isn't meant to have an effect when you press F4 alone.

If you mean placing your HDD in your sisters laptop then it makes sense but removing your sisters HDD and fitting it in your laptop is unnecessary at the moment.

I know, but saying that I'm going to remove my laptop's hard drive, remove my sister's laptop's hard drive, place my sister's laptop's hard drive in a hermetically sealed tube for storage and place my laptop's hard drive in my sister's laptop would seem a tad unwieldy wouldn't it?