Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bsod problem

• Please log in to reply

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi guys

i have a problem with a bsod and im wondering if any1 will be good enough to try to help me with it

the bsod just appears randomly when im browsing the internet

im told & have read that its probably a hardware/software problem, but i really have no idea where to start to try to solve it

im using this system:

Posted Image

i do have the event log from my pc for the latest bsod that i got. personally i dont know how to open/use them, but i have read that its possible to work out which program is causing the bsod from this, so id really appreciate it if some1 with a little more knowledge than me would kindly have a look and try to help me.

for some reason im unable to attach it to the post, so i have uploaded it here:
http://www.speedysha...11-17986-01.dmp

thanks alot, aaron

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the same topic you started HERE in which you admitted to using a torrent downloader when you were getting the bsod.

im told & have read that its probably a hardware/software problem, but i really have no idea where to start to try to solve it

Based on the above statement from your other post I suggest you uninstall the downloader and magicIso since those are the two entries I see with a issue. If the problem persist you may have a hidden infection which we cannot help you in this forum with. Only malware techs can address that in the malware forum.
In the meantime you can do the below and post the log.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
rshaffer61 - thanks for the reply

yes, i did start a topic about a bsod previously which i was told i couldnt be helped with. although, since then, i have had the same bsod happen even when the torrent program wasnt running, so im pretty sure that it is something else that is causing the problem. im told that it is most likely some hardware or software disruption, but i really dont know what, so that is why ive posted again to see if any1 can try to help me find out what

i have attached the .txt document that you recommended i do

i would appreciate it if some1 could take a look and perhaps shed a little light on what i need to do to resolve my problem

i do understand that you dont help with problems relating to torrent programs, im not trying to deceive any1 here, i honestly dont believe that the torrent program is the problem. i think that it may be something related to my hardware configuration or drivers or something like that. unfortunately, as i said above - i really dont know where to start to solve a problem like this, which is why ive returned to ask for help

thanks again for the reply

Attached Files

• Attached File  bsod.txt   45.68KB   130 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your error code shows the below...

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

Please do the following.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thanks for the continued help, i have done as u suggested. unfortunately i dont have any kind of log or report showing the results. it took quite a while so i didnt stay at the computer and watch the whole process

is there anything kind of information i need to provide showing the results in order to go forward?

Edited by -AaronJ-, 01 June 2011 - 01:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope now run the next instructions and let me know.
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thankyou. thats been done... is there anything i need to provide you with regarding results from that step?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK how is the system running now?
Any more BSOD's since the chkdsk and SFC were run?

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well, the answer to that question would be no. but i dont get the bsod alot - it does just happen randomly and for no apparent reason

i think the best thing to do would be to wait until tomorrow night, when i have used my pc throughout the day and early evening to see if it has happened. i dont know why, but it does seem to happen when i play an online java game called funkysnooker and have my torrent program running at the same time. why this is i really dont know as ive played that game and had the a torrent program running for years without a problem

i know it would be easy to think that my torrent program would be the problem again here, but i can have the torrent program, or the funkysnooker running alone without any problems or bsod whatsoever, for as long as i wanted, with no problems. but as soon as i run them together, a bsod normally follows not too long after. this is why i think its a problem relating to my hardware, possibly my network adapter or something similar (because it seems to be an internet connection/internet hardware related problem that causes the bsod - when 2 internet based programs are running at the same time) and not my actual torrent software and/or funkysnooker java game alone

anyway, il post again sometime tomorrow night

thanks very much for your time, it is appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just coincidental they happen like they do. The possibility of infection is always on my mind during all this.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i agree it could be some kind of infection, although i do have kaspersky anti virus and mbam installed and have recently run tests that have come up with nothing. whether im infected with something that they arent detecting, i dont know

the reason why i personally think its some kind of hardware problem is because the bsod happens everytime i do a certan thing - it seems to be triggered by certain actions or processes, (if i wanted/needed to i could actually make the bsod happen by running a certain program) but those processes definitely seem to be internet connection/internet hardware related becasue like i mentioned above - its when i run the torrent program combined with online java game. also, i have tried to use other torrent programs to see if the problem goes away (which would suggest a problem with the torrent software) but i cant even use any torrent program without either: a bsod in the following couple of mins after utorrent starting up, or any other torrent program jus being totally unable to connect.... to anything, ever

this is why im certain it isnt a torrent program which is the problem

there is 1 thing i have noticed - i have a cpu/ram usage indicator on my desktop. for some reason my ram does seem to be very high. i mean, i have 3 gigs, and from the second the pc starts up, all through using it, the ram usage stays very high - even when im doing very little. like now for example: i am writing a reply and listening to some music through windows media player, but my ram indicator is showing 46% usage, and i cant see how this is possible

the worst thing is that i bought my pc from pc world - i bought it in jan 2010 and didnt take the extended warranty. my 12 month standard warranty expired 12 months later and this problem started 6-8 weeks after that... typical

anyway, here is the screenshot from the test u advised me to run

Posted Image

i will post again later tonight when i know im still getting a bsod

thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software

This is what I'm looking at as the culprit.
The speedfan does not show any issues with temps or voltages on your system so that is good. :)
Now the question is have you recently installed any new software just prior to this starting?
Also lets run a couple of other diagnostics on the hardware to just make sure.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

When done with the above then move on to the below steps.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok, sorry to be a pain here, but i cant figure out which diagnostics tool is the correct one to download. i have a western digital hard drive. please can you tell me which 1 it is that i should download?

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
oh - also, for the second stage, im a little unsure as to how many ram sticks i have installed. could u please tell me how i would find this out?

edit* - i have 2 :)

Edited by -AaronJ-, 02 June 2011 - 10:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

ok, sorry to be a pain here, but i cant figure out which diagnostics tool is the correct one to download. i have a western digital hard drive. please can you tell me which 1 it is that i should download?

Wg LifeGuard DOS ISO would be what I suggest. You want to stay out of windows for the testing to keep any interference from happening.

oh - also, for the second stage, im a little unsure as to how many ram sticks i have installed. could u please tell me how i would find this out?

Skip that part and just run the Memtest86 program. We can figure that out if there are errors shown.