Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying problem

• Please log in to reply

Filippos

Filippos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So,my pc freezes at random times,my pc is literally dead -.-
It seems like it's a hardware problem,i even asked essexboy,he told me to come here to ask for help.
Tuneup is reporting a problem>A device is not working properly,windows reports that optiarc DVD RW AD-71701 device is not working properly.
In the past i had exactly the same problems,my pc would freeze but 1-2 times every day or so.Especially it freezes while i am playing a game,7-8 months ago i didn't have these problems but now...argh.My friend told me had the same problem and he found out his processor was burned.
Also TuneUp is reporting the effects of this problem(About the device)>The computer may crash often(+1 here),computer perfomance may be very poor(+1 here),the device may be unsuable(+1 here),the computer may not respoding for a long time(+1 here),i got all the problems that tuneup is reporting
Any idea guys?
Regards

P.S:Hey essex :)

Edited by Filippos, 01 June 2011 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all some computer specs would help us.

or Desktop
Name brand or custom build
If name brand what make and model
If custom built what make and model is the motherboard

Tuneup is reporting a problem>A device is not working properly,windows reports that optiarc DVD RW AD-71701 device is not working properly.

Disconnect it or remove it completely if a laptop.
Does problem happen still?

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

First of all some computer specs would help us.

or Desktop
Name brand or custom build
If name brand what make and model
If custom built what make and model is the motherboard

Disconnect it or remove it completely if a laptop.
Does problem happen still?

I've got computer not a laptop.

System info here:
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK desktop custom built I take it. Any warranty on the system still?

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

OK desktop custom built I take it. Any warranty on the system still?

Ehhh?What are you talking about.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a desktop computer according to what you have stated above.
Is this a name brand system like Dell or Compaq? I asked you if there was a warranty still on the system as this will affect how far I can instruct you to go to correct the issue.

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

You have a desktop computer according to what you have stated above.
Is this a name brand system like Dell or Compaq? I asked you if there was a warranty still on the system as this will affect how far I can instruct you to go to correct the issue.

ahhh,it's Vero.I have no idea about warranty,i may have lost it or it is expired since i bought this pc 4-5 years ago or so....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK what you need to do is shut the computer down and disconnect the power from the back of it.
Now open the side of the computer and find the power that connects to your cdrom and disconnect power from the cdrom drive.
Now connect the power back to your computer and boot the system up and run your Tuneup diagnostics again.
Does it now show a problem?

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I wish i had seen your message 8 hours ago :'( .I decided to repair windows(bleep),after repair a message told me restart the computer to complete the repair etc,i did and an error came up sayin: file asms is missing please insert windows xp serice pack 2 and install this file,i insert the cd i press ok but nothing happens,i don't know what to do.
Literally,literally i feel like > //FACEPALM -.-

After all,i booted from cd and chose an option about recovery,it asked me for admin password allthough i don't have a pass.I am kind of mad :)

I fixed the asms problem and the setup for repair was running smoothly but just 10 minuets before the completion of repair,bluee screen of death cause by atapi.sys came up.I feel like (bleep),i may send my computer to a techinician as i am (bleep)tired of this situation.God...

Latest update:
After bsod,at about 13 minuets before repair completion the computer restarted it self,automatically.-.-

Edited by Filippos, 04 June 2011 - 04:24 PM.
Edit profanity out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry this is frustrating you so much and I do understand.
atapi.sys is very open what it is.
It can be caused by:
  • HD
  • Cdrom
  • IDE cable
  • IDE controller on the mobo

Let me know if you wish to continue or you want to take it to a shop. If you get into windows let me know and i can have you look at the IDE controllers.

Advertisements

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I shuted down my comp,to let it cool down.Shall i try once again?I kind of think it's a waste of time.I want to continue if you could help me.
This moment did really ruing my point of view about pc's,it's like a nightmare.Seriously.:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They will test your patience when they don't work right.
What do you mean it has to cool down? Is it overheating someplace?

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I don't know.Nevermind i tried to turn on the computer,the screen woouldn't work,every was black,actutally screen wasn't working,dead completely and computer would boot normally.I will send it to a shop allthough i don't think it iwll get fixed,i've done repair many times,to different computers,always succed,and failed to my computer,computer is fighting back haha,i don't know really.Didn't expect that end.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
screen wasn't working,dead completely and computer would boot normally
Sounds like a dead monitor or video card if the system is booting up.

Filippos

Filippos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

screen wasn't working,dead completely and computer would boot normally
Sounds like a dead monitor or video card if the system is booting up.

I managed to turn on the pc,it is working now,i tried to repair again,i am on net now,when i back home i ll tell you.